Customer Support Engineer
The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 17,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
Do you have a strong need to understand how and why things work the way they do? Are you acutely aware of customer experience and upset when a company you’re dealing with lets you down?If you have some engineering or web development experience and want to be a part of creating truly exceptional customer experiences then the Customer Support team at Intercom is right for you.
We're looking for a support engineer to join our Dublin team in this full time onsite position.Intercom supports over 15k businesses ranging from bootstrapped startups to large enterprise corporations. Our Support Engineers partner with our customers to tackle the challenging technical issues they face in innovative ways. In this role, you will be directly responsible for helping people integrate Intercom into their products, diagnose and report problems they have, and serve as the bridge between our customers and our product teams.
We use Intercom to support Intercom customers, so whether you’re just starting out in your career or want to get a deeper understanding of fundamental customer motivations and how those are applied to building an ambitious, world-class product, this role provides that great opportunity.We have all experienced terrible customer service. Robotic agents running through a script of predetermined messages, never helping or sympathizing, just programmatically following instructions. That’s the opposite of who we are.
Our way of providing support is based on the principles of continuity and trust and our style of communication is personal, friendly and fun. We engage in dynamic conversations with our customers and are big fans of visual communication (think emojis, stickers, GIFs) - we believe that visual support is human support!
What will I be doing?
In this role you will:
- Debug complex issues with an understanding of both our own codebase and the many technologies employed by our customers
- Solve technical problems for customers on a daily basis
- Utilize inherited and learned technical knowledge (including but not limited to: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, Pusher, nginx, Sinatra, Sidekiq, and lots more) to build tools that will help increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the team and its processes
- Influence the direction of the Intercom product through daily communication with our customers and consistent collaboration with our product teams
What skills do I need?
The basic requirements to be successful in this role are:
- Computer Science degree or 1-2 years working in a web development background
- Previous experience with problem solving in a troubleshooting environment
- A valid work permit for Ireland
However, great support takes more than tech skills, so we also need you to have:
- A real interest in helping a high volume of customers who range from experienced developers to non-technical
- The ability to rapidly switch gears while retaining focus on the bigger picture
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to explain complex topics in easily understood, concise language [English]
- Ambition, eagerness to learn and improve, passion for tech and the future of the internet
Bonus skills & attributes
- Strong knowledge of Ruby and/or Ember.js frameworks
- Familiarity with native mobile development (iOS and/or Android)
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday. There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
Meet Some of Intercom's Employees
Director of Brand Design
Stewart manages designers and front-end developers who keep the face of Intercom in tip-top shape. He collaborates on and helps direct the overall visual identity of the brand.
Back to top