Quality Control Department Manager
Quality Control is fundamental to Intelligentsia's mission to source, roast, and sell the best-quality coffees in the world. The QC team works in close collaboration with all other departments to help ensure we are producing coffees of extraordinary caliber that live up to their optimal potential. This department is a hub for all our coffee operations and plays a massive role in helping us maintain the ambitious standards we've set, better understand the coffees we work with, and pursue new heights for flavor and sensory delight. The QC Manager leads this team and serves as its chief communicator in the relentless campaign to illuminate coffee quality.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute rigorous quality evaluation, monitoring, assurance, and reporting protocols for incoming (green) and outgoing (roasted) coffees.
- Oversee development and quality assurance for all coffee blends and other coffee products.
- Manage the Cropster database system in collaboration with the Roasting department. Ensure that cupping records and green coffee data is accurately entered and organized.
- Generate dashboard summaries and comprehensive coffee quality reports for global coffee program and all individual coffees.
- Coordinate and support ongoing R/D efforts to help optimize coffee quality and consistency.
- Interact with Retail Managers and Educators at the retail stores to implement satellite QC programs.
- Manage Quality Control Specialist and Lab Assistant.
- Provide other sample roasting and cupping services for Roasting, Training, and Green Coffee departments as needed.
- Design and manage internal cupper development and certification programs.
- Able to travel outside the country as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or higher required.
- Background in the hard sciences plus advanced experience with data management and statistical analysis, experience with personnel management, experience with coffee tasting and general coffee skills, and work experience in system design preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters.
- Capability to interface and maintain effective relationships with coworkers and customers.
- Detail-oriented, logical, analytical, and methodological approach to problem-solving.
- Flexible, with the ability to work indepedently and with minimal guidance.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, as well as presentational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Extensive coffee knowledge, some laboratory experience, and cupping skills.
- Good computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Excel and database systems.
- Some travel required.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk, and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- At times, may require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Fine hand manipulation (keyboarding).
- Must be able to travel outside the country as needed.
Back to top