Senior Firmware Developer
- Folsom, CA
This position is associated with the sale of Intel's NAND memory and storage business to SK Hynix (You can read more about the transaction in the press release - https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2020/10/nand-memory-news-q-a.pdf ). The transaction will enhance the resources and potential of the business' storage solutions, including client and enterprise SSDs, in the rapidly growing NAND Flash space amid the era of big data.
This is an exciting time to be at Intel - come join our Data Center NAND Division as a Senior Firmware Engineer and work on one of the most advanced 3DNAND and SSD technology portfolios in the world. As the global leader in the semiconductor industry, Intel possesses many industry-leading SSD technologies including the most capable Quadruple Level Cell (QLC) NAND Flash products. As a Senior Firmware Engineer, you will be part of a world-class team that will transition to lead the SSD business at SK Hynix.
This position aligns to Phase 1 of the transaction, which includes the 3DNAND enterprise and client SSD business. Phase 1 is expected to close in late 2021, subject to regulatory approvals and other customary conditions. At deal close, all employees aligned to this phase of the transaction will transition to SK Hynix.
Intel is currently seeking Firmware and Embedded Software Design professionals to join a growing team working on next generation Solid State Disk (SSD) solutions within our Non-volatile Memory Solutions Group.
In this position you will join a fast-paced team developing new, cutting-edge firmware for Intel Solid State Drives (SSD). You will utilize and grow your experience in embedded architecture, external interfaces, and product constraints, along with the ability to develop architectures/features that meet these constraints while providing new value for the platform. You will use and gain experience in storage interface standards such as SATA, SAS, PCIe, and NVMe. The role also includes algorithm modeling, benchmarking, and implementation in firmware. The team utilizes Agile development methodologies, therefore, excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely with team members, both locally and across the organization is required.
As a Senior Firmware Engineer, regular responsibilities include, but are not be limited to:
- Develop, review, document, and maintain product source code in C/C++
- Analyze and develop firmware per internal and external (customer) specifications
- Perform unit and system level testing including failure analysis and debug of product issues as part of development and validation phases
- Develop low-level firmware, system architectures, operating systems, device architectures, in partnership with hardware and ASIC design teams
- Cross multiple firmware disciplines to develop and grow across the entire SSD architecture
- Work with project stakeholders turning product requirements into development and validation plans
- Participate in and role model an Agile/Kanban development culture which emphasizes product quality, team accountability, and continuous improvement
- Coordinate priorities and activities with other engineering stakeholders to accomplish committed milestones
A successful candidate will demonstrate:
- The ability to listen, understand and respond professionally to partner questions and issues while building trust
- Excellent written and presentation skills
- A history of self-starting and effective multitasking, with strong influencing and leadership skills
The below minimum qualifications must be met to be considered for this position. Preferred qualifications are in addition to the minimum requirements and are considered a plus factor in identifying top candidates.
- The candidate must have a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science or a related field
- 6+ years of experience in software or firmware development in an embedded systems environment with programming in C/C++
- 6+ years of experience in embedded firmware development running in a real-time operating system (RTOS), with hardware and software interactions
- 6+ years of experience in firmware development environments including compilers, debuggers, emulators, and tool-chains
- 6+ years of experience in development of unit tests for code coverage and quality validation
- Storage industry (SSDs or enterprise storage)
- Embedded development techniques using hardware and firmware tools
- Structured software development and practices, analytical problem solving, innovation and a mindset of continuous improvement
- Enterprise storage interface protocols (e.g., SATA, SAS, PCIe, and NVMe)
- SSD or enterprise storage device security protocols and techniques (e.g., Opal, ESSC, and AES)
- Software/firmware development processes including workflow and continuous integration validation
- DevOps process strategies, tools and execution, from code check-in through Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Project planning, estimation, and risk management
- Customer requirements definition, clarification, and technical assessment
Inside this Business Group
Non-Volatile Solutions Memory Group: The Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group is a worldwide organization that delivers NAND flash memory products for use in Solid State Drives (SSDs), portable memory storage devices, digital camera memory cards, and other devices. The group is responsible for NVM technology design and development, complete Solid State Drive (SSD) system hardware and firmware development, as well as wafer and SSD manufacturing.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local law, regulation, or ordinance.
US JR0150737 Folsom
Back to top