Senior Engineer, R&D - San Diego
- San Diego, CA
Our Passion. Your Results.
Founded in 1959, Instrumentation Laboratory (IL) is a global leader in the development, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic solutions for Acute Care Diagnostics, patient blood management and Hemostasis testing. Our success comes from a specific focus in these rapidly evolving diagnostic areas, our commitment to customers, and our dedication to innovation and quality. We’re passionate about providing medical professionals the most valuable and complete solutions to enhance patient care.
As an integral part of Werfen, a global healthcare company dedicated to delivering the highest quality in vitro diagnostic products, IL is supported by significant resources, outstanding scientific expertise and a tremendous knowledge base. IL is headquartered in Bedford, MA, USA.
The Senior Engineer, R&D applies insight, experience, knowledge and skill, as well as implements best practices and procedures, to support a wide rage of R&D activities and to solve broad R&D issues related to the development of new and innovative products and the improvement of existing products as related to the individuals engineering discipline: Mechanical: design, document, fabricate, modify, and evaluate mechanical components and electromechanical equipment and devices related to company products. Software: design, write, modify, debug, test, verify and document source code of personal computer based and embedded software applications related to company products. Electrical: design, document, fabricate, modify and evaluate electrical assemblies and electromechanical equipment and devices related to company products.
- Apply research theories, principles, and models to assist with R&D activities that foster innovations in design, products and style; test and evaluate work.
- Apply research theories, principles, and models to assist with R&D activities that foster advancements and improvements in existing products; test and evaluate work.
- Summarize and communicate all results and findings as appropriate; prepare related reports.
- Work to ensure products meet all regulatory requirements and are of the highest quality standard.
- Maintain accurate and through knowledge of scientific and engineering principles.
- Assist with activities that establish technical merit of company product.
- Work cross-functionally as a key resource to study, develop, and act on industry trends and user needs; keep up-to-date on industry trends and customer demands.
- Function as a key technical support resource for Manufacturing and Technical Services.
- Provide recommendations for new product development that keeps the company ahead of competition.
- Contribute to internal scientific discussions pertinent to company products and developmental goals.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) years previous experience, preferably within a regulated medical device environment
- Broad experience/knowledge on
- Low level embedded design / Embedded processing
- Analog circuits and design (filters, power circuit, Li-Ion battery packs, fuel gauge and charging circuits, EMC)
- Signal processing, conditioning, and microprocessors
- DC Motor controls
- Electromechanical test fixture design
- LEDs and optics
- Debugging electronics using oscilloscopes, logic-analyzers, multimeters, etc., required, verification planning and reporting a plus
- Experience with Altium ECAD and Microsoft Office software packages required
- Previous experience with sustaining engineering and component selection
- Good knowledge of physics / thermal management & controls is a plus
- Understanding of international/environmental standards is a plus
- Demonstrated good problem-solving and failure investigation skills required
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills required
If you are interested in constantly learning and being challenged on a daily basis we encourage you to submit your resume or CV.
Instrumentation Laboratory appreciates and values diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Werfen is a global leader in in vitro diagnostics (IVD) in the specialties of Hemostasis, Acute Care Diagnostics and Autoimmunity. Our core business is dedicated to R&D, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic systems for hospitals and clinical laboratories. Our other areas of expertise include Original Equipment Manufacturing, Clinical Software, Clinical Chemistry, Infusion Therapy, and Medical Devices and Scientific Instrumentation Distribution.
We operate directly in over 30 countries and in more than 100 territories through distributors. In 2016, our turnover was approximately 1.2 billion euros and we had an average workforce of 4,400 people. Currently, we are over 5,000 employees.
Back to top