- Bedford, MA
Our Passion. Your Results.
Founded in 1959, Instrumentation Laboratory (IL) is a global leader in the development, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic solutions for Acute Care Diagnostics, patient blood management and Hemostasis testing. Our success comes from a specific focus in these rapidly evolving diagnostic areas, our commitment to customers, and our dedication to innovation and quality. We’re passionate about providing medical professionals the most valuable and complete solutions to enhance patient care.
As an integral part of Werfen, a global healthcare company dedicated to delivering the highest quality in vitro diagnostic products, IL is supported by significant resources, outstanding scientific expertise and a tremendous knowledge base. IL is headquartered in Bedford, MA, USA.
Using Engineering procedures standard for research and development, carries out assignments associated with research, design, development, support or manufacturing of specific parts, processes, software or components of medical diagnostic systems. Independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications. Under the general direction of a functional manager, with moderate latitude for self-direction, operates in one or more areas of responsibility within a specific function.
- Acts as an individual contributor, core team or technical lead for a specific project.
- Accountable for the completion of assigned deliverables in accordance with approved schedules.
- Authors documentation and participates in activities in support of design control
- Independently plans, performs & prioritizes tasks that are moderately complex in nature, in alignment with corporate goals.
- Analyzes and interprets data, identifying trends and formulating the next steps, if required by the function.
- Leads, designs and/or develops one or more of the following: new test methods, specifications, technical apparatus, software and processes for moderately complex components and functions.
- Identifies product defects and recognizes outliers in results. Can explain and document product defects and their impact.
- Effectively communicates complex technical information to a cross-functional team in the form of documentation, presentations or technical summaries.
- Technical expertise in a least 1 area.
- Provides technical guidance to and/or supervision of other group members and cross-functional technical teams. Able to mentor others.
- Provides technical support for or leads investigations in support of development and/or on-market activities.
- Independently generates predictable schedules for activities related to assigned projects.
- May review and provide input to deliverables from other functions.
- Recommends and implements improvement initiatives to aid department practices.
Budget Managed: (if applicable)
Internal Networking/Key Relationships
To be determined based on department needs, to include interactions such as:
- Will interface on a regular basis with groups across the organization as needed
Skills & Capabilities:
The ideal candidate for this position will exhibit the following skills and capabilities:
- Statistical Analysis (if required by the function), Root Cause Analysis, Creative Problem Solving, Critical Thinking
- Technically adept and confident
- Leadership: Accountability, Decision Making, Influence, Communication
Minimum Knowledge & Experience Required for the Position:
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Science or a related field
- Eight years of product development or relevant experience
- Four to six years of product development or relevant experience for advanced degrees
- For internal candidate promotion: Demonstrated proficiency in meeting all competencies of current level and acceptable performance history may be used in lieu of experience
- In vitro medical device experience highly desired.
- Additional Skills/Knowledge:
- Language: Proficiency in English language required
- Required: No
- Some domestic and international travel may be required.
If you are interested in constantly learning and being challenged on a daily basis, we encourage you to submit your resume or CV.
Instrumentation Laboratory appreciates and values diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Werfen is a global leader in in vitro diagnostics (IVD) in the specialties of Hemostasis, Acute Care Diagnostics and Autoimmunity. Our core business is dedicated to R&D, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic systems for hospitals and clinical laboratories. Our other areas of expertise include Original Equipment Manufacturing, Clinical Software, Clinical Chemistry, Infusion Therapy, and Medical Devices and Scientific Instrumentation Distribution.
We operate directly in over 30 countries and in more than 100 territories through distributors. In 2016, our turnover was approximately 1.2 billion euros and we had an average workforce of 4,400 people. Currently, we are over 5,000 employees.
Back to top