Principal Software Engineer
- Bedford, MA
Our Passion. Your Results.
Founded in 1959, Instrumentation Laboratory (IL) is a global leader in the development, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic solutions for Acute Care Diagnostics, patient blood management and Hemostasis testing. Our success comes from a specific focus in these rapidly evolving diagnostic areas, our commitment to customers, and our dedication to innovation and quality. We’re passionate about providing medical professionals the most valuable and complete solutions to enhance patient care.
As an integral part of Werfen, a global healthcare company dedicated to delivering the highest quality in vitro diagnostic products, IL is supported by significant resources, outstanding scientific expertise and a tremendous knowledge base. IL is headquartered in Bedford, MA, USA.
Under minimal supervision, leads software development activities including software requirements, architecture, design, implementation, and integration.
- Provides software technical leadership on a software development team. This includes participating in requirements review, design reviews, code reviews, test case reviews, and team meetings.
- Participate as an active member on a project development team: This includes requirements change control, defect management, risk analysis, and release management.
- Creates/Maintains software requirement/functional specifications.
- Creates/Maintains software architecture documentation.
- Creates/Maintains software (component) design documentation.
- Creates/Maintains software source code that adheres to design documentation.
- Performs unit testing and/or code reviews as per project policy.
- Performs integration testing to ensure software functions within application and with electrical and mechanical devices.
- Evaluates, investigates, and implements fixes to assigned software defects.
- Evaluates, investigates, and implements assigned software change proposals.
- Provides level of effort for assigned software activities
- Tracks personal estimates over time in order to improve accuracy.
- Follows project and corporate software plans, standards, and procedures to perform software development
- Creates/Maintains software project plans.
- Creates/Maintains software configuration management plans.
- Coordinates, schedules and supervises software developers for a project
- Brings new software technologies into the company.
- Creates/Maintains applications (utilities) for the project to improve team efficiency, such as hardware control for other engineering disciplines or automated data analyzers for software test.
- Must have the ability to handle many software components and take ownership for a large percentage of the code base.
- Must have the ability to take ownership for high complexity implementations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Budget managed (if applicable) N/A
Internal Networking/Key relationships:
- TBD based on departmental/project needs
Skills & Capabilities:
- Leadership, Management, Team, Individual, etc (for e.g.: holds people accountable, teamwork, delegation, communication, impact and influencing, etc)
- Consult dictionary of competencies on Manager's Database Ability to administer software engineering tools: configuration management, requirements management, and defect management.
- Ability to operate instrumentation.
- Possesses strong written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment of software developers and testers.
Min Knowledge & Experience required for the position:
- Bachelor's Degree plus a minimum of 10 years of related experience or Master's Degree plus a minimum of 8 years of related experience or waiver based on experience.
- Degree should be in a technical discipline such as Chemistry, Math, Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science. Proficiency with a personal computer and software packages.
- Proficient in code languages (Assembly, C, C++, Java, C#, etc.) found in product development.
International Mobility: Required: no
- <5% of time
If you are interested in constantly learning and being challenged on a daily basis we encourage you to submit your resume or CV.
Instrumentation Laboratory appreciates and values diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Werfen is a global leader in in vitro diagnostics (IVD) in the specialities of Hemostasis, Acute Care Diagnostics and Autoimmunity. Our core business is dedicated to R&D, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic systems for hospitals and clinical laboratories. Our other areas of expertise include Original Equipment Manufacturing, Clinical Software, Clinical Chemistry, Infusion Therapy, and Medical Devices and Scientific Instrumentation Distribution.
We operate directly in over 30 countries and in more than 100 territories through distributors. In 2016, our turnover was approximately 1.2 billion euros and we had an average workforce of 4,400 people. Currently, we are over 5,000 employees.
Back to top