We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we've been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it's more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
The Data Platform team is a newly-formed infrastructure team responsible for providing Instacart with cutting-edge self-serve data infrastructure to store and process many petabytes of data. Our systems are critical to many teams across the business including Ads, Fulfillment, Fraud, and more, as Instacart's data needs have scaled tremendously over the past few years.
Within Infrastructure, you will lead the Data Platform team as they work to architect and build a portfolio of data systems which support our critical business needs. You will ensure that the team is laser-focused on our internal customers, while also ensuring that we consistently stay ahead of technological trends in the fast-moving world of data and anticipate the future data requirements of the organization.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Lead a software engineering team that owns our most critical data infrastructure.
- Build and mentor a high-performing team of software engineers with deep infrastructure and systems expertise.
- Drive vision and strategy across all data infrastructure platforms at Instacart, and partner with platform engineering leaders across Instacart to influence priorities and create cohesive infrastructure roadmaps that span organizational boundaries.
- Provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system design and code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems our team builds.
- Develop a team culture of ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart.
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of engineers. 7+ years designing, building and operating large scale data systems.
- Deep experience building systems with the modern data stack: Spark, Kafka, Flink or Spark Streaming, Snowflake, BigQuery or Presto/Trino, Airflow, Delta Lake or Iceberg, Pinot, etc.
- A strong product mindset, balancing business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience.
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.