Senior Software Engineer, Storage
We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we've been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it's more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Solving these problems is what helps our customers get back time in their day, so they can do more of what they love.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
As a cloud-native startup, Instacart continues to grow at a record pace. Both as a product and a company the rapid evolution and problem solving requires passionate and professional software engineers focused on the infrastructure. The development culture at Instacart is centered around Service Ownership which means this is not an "Ops Team" job. Our role is not to carry the pager for others but to engage with teams to help them make good design and operational decisions. We create storage solutions for Instacart that are scalable, reliable, and observable, and we write tools and interfaces for the application developers to make their use and ownership of storage seamless and efficient.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Assess application storage needs and build multi-facet storage solutions for different uses (for example: hot/cold data storage, source-of-truth data for analytics and volatile storage for in process use, denormalized data storage for different query patterns)
- Build tools for visibility and control of storage platforms
- Research and monitor scale breaking points
- Consult on schema architecture
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Participate in rotations to cover interrupt work and incidents
- Open to remote applications, with preference for EDT timezone
- 5+ years experience
- Strong experience with Ruby/Python/Go/PostgreSQL/AWS are required
- Your understanding of database technologies goes beyond the surface. You enjoy exploring the details of what does and does not work well under the hood of a storage engine
- You have a customer focus. You are attentive to the needs of your application engineering partners and design solutions that fit their requirements
- You are experienced and professional enough to manage your time, deflect distractions when necessary and drive projects to completion
- You care about other people enough that you are thoughtful about what you say and open to feedback from others
Back to top