Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure
- San Francisco, CA
As a cloud-native startup, Instacart continues to grow at a record pace. Both as a product and a company the rapid evolution and problem solving requires passionate and professional software engineers focused on the infrastructure. The development culture at Instacart is centered around Service Ownership which means this is not an "Ops Team" job. Our role is not to carry the pager for others but to engage with teams to help them make good design and operational decisions. We reduce the cost of Service Ownership. There will be opportunities to specialize into SRE or Cloud Platform engineering as the team grows, but today we are looking for generalists who want to work with large scale data problems or container-based deployment pipelines. When startups first grow they are focused on making software, but over time they have to learn how to own software. We are looking for the professionals that can help Instacart infuse reliability, performance, security, and quality into the software we produce every day.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Assess the infrastructure landscape and identify key projects to improve reliability or scalability.
- You don't like to do repetitive tasks and instead use software to reduce the need for them
- Mentor less experienced engineers and modeling professional behavior around Pull Request review or deployment preparation
- Craft automation and infrastructure as code to reduce toil
- Consult with development teams on reliability and operability during design and development
- Participation for on-call rotation for specific systems you are assigned ownership
- Participation in interrupt rotation for ad-hoc Engineering support requests or investigation assistance
- You are comfortable with debugging database performance issues, network ghosts in AWS, or designing container-based immutable infrastructure.
- You have a customer focus. You are constantly asking Engineers how we can make their Service Ownership simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.
- You are experienced and professional enough to manage your time, deflect distractions when necessary and drive projects to completion
- You care about other people enough that you are thoughtful about what you say and open to feedback from others
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart's same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 350 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck-everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.
Back to top