Machine Learning Engineer, (Staff/Senior)
- San Francisco, CA
We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we've been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it's more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Solving these problems is what helps our customers get back time in their day, so they can do more of what they love.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We're looking for staff level machine learning engineers to join our team. We work on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from ensuring deliveries are efficient and on-time to helping customers decide what to buy. Machine learning is at the heart of this effort and an essential ingredient in Instacart's aggressive growth plan and vision for the future.
- As Instacart grows and takes on more challenging ambitions, we look to staff engineers to raise the level of execution overall and be technical leaders with both depth of knowledge and broad influence. In addition, they are strong communicators, excellent mentors and effective cross-functional operators.
- This is an individual contributor role with significant impact both within the machine learning team and on product team(s) you will collaborate with
- You will be responsible for technical roadmaps and will collaborate with Product Management, Data science, Product Engineering and Design to shape the overall product roadmap
- You will conceive and lead projects while being a hands-on builder of machine learning software components
- You will be a strategic thought partner for leaders across the organization on driving business impact through machine learning
- You will coach and mentor the next generation of strong engineers on the team
- Have 6+ years of industry experience using machine learning to solve real-world problems with large datasets
- Have a graduate degree in artificial intelligence, machine learning or equivalent self study and experience
- Have strong programming skills in Python and fluency in data manipulation (SQL, Spark, Pandas) and machine learning (scikit-learn, XGBoost, Keras/Tensorflow) tools
- Have experience leading multiple projects of varying scope and complexity in more than one problem space
- Are a technical leader who is comfortable handling projects of significant complexity and ambiguity
- Are a strong communicator who can collaborate with diverse stakeholders across all levels
- Strong expertise in one or more of the areas:
- Search relevance, recommendations or ads targeting
- Combining machine learning and operations research to solve optimal routing, inventory management or marketing mix optimization
- Fraud Detection, Anomaly Detection and Time-series Forecasting
Back to top