Engineering Manager, Ads Quality (Personalization & Recommendation)
- San Francisco, CA
We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we've been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it's more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Imagine an on-line shopping experience where aisles or stores are dynamically constructed based on your specific requirements and preferences. Instacart Ads aims to bring such a personalized search and discovery experience to online shopping.
The mission of the Ads Quality team is to drive the selection and ranking of ads across all placements and product lines, as well as personalization and audience understanding. This team ensures we are prioritizing the best ad for a customer, page and context to deliver the highest engagement rate and best advertiser value. The right engineering leader will be building the future of how users and advertisers interact with advertising in the relatively new online grocery space, touching many different technologies.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will manage a team of infrastructure and machine learning engineers focused on ad quality and audience targeting, including placement and conversion
- You will partner with many teams across the Ads and Customers organizations, as well as with Sales in order to ultimately create great ad solutions
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software
- You will provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- You will participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- You will develop a team culture of ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers
- A strong understanding of engineering systems and experience with backend development and applied ML
- The ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions while improving the overall organization's impact
- Knowledge of industry best practices for building large scale and highly reliable consumer applications
- Strong analytical skills and a sense of ownership
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
Back to top