Engineering Manager, Ads Indexing
- San Francisco, CA
We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we've been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it's more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Solving these problems is what helps our customers get back time in their day, so they can do more of what they love.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
The Ads Measurement team is responsible for accurate, low latency data infrastructure systems for the Ads org. This includes managing our ads data pipeline, online data stores, and creating insights that allow our advertisers to optimize their marketing spend, as well as providing real-time signals necessary to run our ads delivery system.
The mission of the Ads Indexing team is to build and maintain the source of truth for ad campaign data, including domain modeling, workflow management, storage and ensuring this gets indexed for low latency ad serving. The team works closely with other Ads teams and Catalog to make sure all the relevant information is included in the index and that the products reflect what's in stock at the given store location.
As we continue to grow and expand our Ads business and product lines, this foundation needs to be both scalable and maintainable.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will manage a team of infrastructure engineers focused on our ads domain model and index primarily working in Golang, and nominally in Ruby
- You and your team will own the most important data structures shared across the Ads organization
- You will partner with many teams across Ads, Catalog as well as with Sales in order to ensure we can serve varying kinds of ad units and products
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software
- You will provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- You will participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- You will develop a team culture of ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers
- A strong understanding of engineering systems and experience with backend development
- The ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions while improving the overall organization's impact
- Knowledge of industry best practices for building large scale and highly reliable consumer applications
- Strong analytical skills and a sense of ownership
Back to top