We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we're building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you're ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There's no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work-whether it's from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop-while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Fulfillment Marketplace system sits at the core of Instacart. We build industry leading technology to power a balanced, sustainable and resilient marketplace that efficiently meets customer demand, incentivizes shoppers, and offers a widening range of high quality services.
As Director of Engineering, your team will own engineering scoping and execution of all aspects of all the products we build to help make Instacart help service a success.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Instacart Marketplace team builds foundations that power Instacart's services. Together we give people instant access to local retailers and goods, enabling new ways for customers to do their weekly grocery run and serve more spontaneous needs throughout the week. The full team has a couple sub-pillars: Delivery Logistics & Shopper Pay, Consumer-facing products including service options & consumer fees, Incentives and Paid Marketing.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will manage a full-stack engineering team with managers and lead the development of systems, models, product features and infrastructure.
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- You will provide hands-on technical management and guidance, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- You will participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- You will help team members grow as technical contributors and members of Instacart community
- You will develop a team culture of curiosity, impact, ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
- 12+ years of technical industry experience
- 5+ years experience managing software engineering teams
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience recruiting, building, structuring, leading technical organizations, including performance management
- An inspirational and effective leader in a fast-paced environment with the ability to be highly adaptive.
- The ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Experience with full-stack software development
- Strong analytical skills and an even stronger sense of ownership
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.