We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we're building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you're ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There's no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work-whether it's from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop-while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We are seeking an experienced Controller to join our accounting team, reporting to the CAO to lead and continue to build and improve the financial accounting function at Instacart, including financial reporting, close process, audits, and business process controls. This is a high visibility role where you will support executive leadership and help scale the accounting team, helping to ensure we are public company ready. This role will require deep expertise in accounting, practical problem-solving skills, and a good balance between strategic thinking and a willingness to roll up sleeves and dive into the details. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, a great communicator and enjoys collaborating with people with a diverse set of talents, in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Plan & lead the financial accounting function to build & develop the team, implement & execute scalable processes, and drive close process improvements
- Develop and execute the organizational strategy and structure to prepare for significant organizational and financial events
- Produce consolidated financial statements in accordance with US GAAP and related internal financial reports on a timely basis; ensure a scalable, efficient, accurate close process
- Play a key role in expanding our global footprint. Assist with related accounting projects and cross functional efforts such as subsidiary set up and building international accounting processes
- Partner closely with internal audit and demonstrate a strong understanding of the key risks and processes in the organization to ensure appropriate business process controls are maintained
- Coordinate and manage the annual external audit, serving as primary liaison with auditor leadership
- Develop close relationships with Tax, Accounting Operations, Technical Accounting, Financial Systems, and Controller, New Business - all functions reporting to the CAO, as well as Strategic Finance, Corporate Development, Business Operations, and other financial functions reporting to the CFO
- Forge strong partnerships with critical teams throughout the business: Product, Engineering, Operations, Marketing, Business Development, Legal, Human Resources, etc.
- 12+ years experience in Accounting at high-growth technology companies; at least 6 years in a leadership role with at least 3 years in a public company environment
- CPA; experience at "Big 4" audit firm a plus
- Deep knowledge of and proficiency with current accounting rules, compliance, and technical accounting; maintains a bias toward adoption of best practices
- Ability to design and implement processes that are SOX compliant and scalable
- Leadership skills: organized and structured, with ability to set strategy, build a plan, develop and manage a finance team & execute
- Strong communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with various levels of the organization, service providers, and vendors
- Learner and problem solver who isn't afraid to take on new challenges, while knowing when to ask for help
- International experience; ability to guide accounting across multiple entities and consolidations
- Results oriented, with track record of scaling, leading and driving improvements
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.