Senior Character Artist
Insomniac Games is looking for Senior Character Artist to create models, textures, and shaders for characters and other key assets for our games at our office in Burbank. And – you get to work on a Spider-Man game! Does it get any cooler than that? Keep reading if this sounds like something you’d be interested in doing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintains consistent style under the direction of the Art Director and Character Lead
- Creates models, textures, and shaders for characters, vehicles, weapons, and props
- Uses knowledge of human and animal anatomy to ensure that models achieve a high level of functionality and design aesthetics
- Checks character assets in context in the game to identify scale and design issues
- Optimizes models and shaders.
- Actively participates in technical and artistic problem solving
- Works closely with animators and riggers to ensure models deform correctly and are functional
- Solves problems with visual design; fills in the gaps between concept art and modeling
- Meets with other character artists to discuss style and technique and maintains visual consistency
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Digital Design, or equivalent degree from foreign university/college and 5 years of post degree progressive experience as a Character Artist in the video game industry.
- At least three shipped commercial titles.
- Advanced understanding of Photoshop, Maya and Z-brush, Mudbox or equivalent.
- Advanced understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models.
- Understanding of node based shader networks a plus.
- Understanding of source control with Perforce or the equivalent.
- Drawing, sculpting, and conceptualization skills with an ability to adapt to established styles.
- Understanding of clean edge flow and best practices for modeling for animation performance.
- Knowledge of human and animal anatomy.
- Strong traditional painting skills in both stylized and photorealistic styles.
- Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules.
- Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team.
To qualify for the position applicants must provide portfolio demonstrating character art skills in both stylized and photorealistic styles.
Candidates must take test to demonstrate proficiency. Background and reference checks. Multiple positions open.
Back to top