Thermoform Machine Operator
DAY Rotating 36/48: 12-hour schedule 5:00am -5:00pm
Summary: Operator will operator plastic thermoforming machinery. Operator will fill in for Packer, Utility, Grinder and Production Lead personnel. This position keeps production operational by performing the following duties:
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensures product meets quality standards by conducting functional tests to QC standards, documents material issues when defects are identified and notifies Production Lead and/or Mechanic if process corrections are required.
- Accurately loads/unloads material rolls from machines, verifies and sets machine settings per the sheet settings. Safely uses appropriate lift trucks to maneuver rolls.
- Properly and timely starts/stops/restarts machine, removes scrap and rewind.
- Correctly operates thermoforming, automation, and auxiliary equipment (e.g., case tapers, grinders, stackers, case erectors, stretch wrapper).
- Cleans all production equipment and maintains a safe work area.
- Assists with set-up of machines as needed.
- Cover breaks and lunch for Production Lead/Packers
- Maintains and keeps current training required for various lift trucks and forklift license.
- Ensures that case counts, labeling and date stamps are correct.
- Knowledge of the various types of pallet stacking configurations and stacks them properly for each item per the QC Standards.
- Moves full skids out of the packing area and safely operates stretch wrapping equipment. Ensures that finished product is properly wrapped and staged for warehousing.
- Replenishes the work area with empty skids as needed and supplies correct size skids per QC Standards.
- Will use an appropriate lift truck to locate and deliver raw material and cartons to the appropriate production line. Removes all finished goods from the line and move to or store in the proper locations.
- Correctly identifies and handles different material types used in production.
- Follow procedures for daily and weekly machine inspection, preventive maintenance, cleaning, and brings to the attention of the Production Lead or Mechanic of any items that may need to be corrected.
- Ensures that lockout procedures are followed any time the equipment is being cleaned or maintained.
- Ability to correctly troubleshoot machines.
- Correctly and timely identify the root cause and makes the necessary corrections for problems such as parts sticking, webs, splits, snaps, forming, hinge, hairs and pre-cuts.
- Properly completes production paperwork, maintains accurate log books and other administrative duties.
- Accurately communicates shift change information.
- Has working knowledge and understanding of the MDT system.
- Ensures that proper down time codes are used in the MDT system.
- Properly completes end of shift reports.
- Follows Product Safety and Quality standards
- Follows FDA GMP's in regards to food contact packaging as it pertains to the employee
- Practices safe work habits and follows general safety procedures such as proper lifting and bending, ergonomics, proper use of equipment and use of personal protection equipment (PPE)
- Practices good housekeeping including clutter-free work area and general cleaning; follows FDA product safety standards, follows IPC product defense standards and complies with all SQF requirements
- Ensures lockout procedures are followed any time the equipment is being cleaned or maintained
- Maintain current forklift operation certification.
- Maintains a good attendance record.
- Generally willing to work overtime.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School degree or equivalent. Prior experience or training in a related field or manufacturing environment.
- In work-related situations, must be able to take direction and communicate in English as well as read and understand written documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Must be able to use and understand simple mathematics, using addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, fractions and decimals. Knowledge of the metric system a plus.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
In a 12-hour shift while performing this job, the employee may sit, stand or walk.
Physical activities include lifting, reaching, pushing, pulling, bending and twisting.
Pallet stacking of boxes of 30-40 lbs. are performed repetitively.
This job occasionally requires changing molds and heater where items weighing150-300 lbs. are pulled from a shelf onto a "Big Joe" moving machine. Storage heights are from 13 inches above floor level to five feet high.
700-1300 lbs. pallets are occasionally pulled (30-40 pallets/day) approximately 40' with a pallet jack.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Moving plastic rolls with appropriate lift trucks (approximately up to2500 lbs) positioning them to be loaded onto machines.
Kneeling on floor and pulling roll of rewind from machine.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Meet Some of Inline Plastics's Employees
Sarah helps spread the word about Inline Plastics to people and industries around the world through strategic marketing materials and campaigns.
Back to top