Testing and Packaging Engineer
Testing and Packaging Engineer
The Testing and Packaging Engineer provides technical quality testing and packaging support within the Product Development Process. This role collaborates with RD&E, Marketing, Quality (Production and Design), Operations, and Packaging supply base to provide confidence that new product designs are robustly designed, tested, and packaged to withstand all variables of the supply chain to deliver products to the end user. The Testing and Packaging Engineer position will be responsible for RD&E Quality laboratory, to include direct reports (Test Technicians), instrumentation, packaging design and processes for new and existing products, and the collection, analysis and presentation of RD&E quality data. The Testing and Packaging Engineer is a new role that will report directly to the Design Quality Manager.
Essential Function/Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential functions/duties satisfactorily. Other duties/functions may be added or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design and develop new package designs and perform package component testing and qualification, working with suppliers, from engineering prints to making models & prototypes, insuring consumer requirements, functional parameters, cost targets and manufacturing & shipping requirements are all met
- Create, execute, and communicate Test Plans that evaluate new product designs and packaging against critical customer requirements
- Support the Product Development Process by utilizing Lean and Six Sigma concepts/tools (FMEA, VOC, QFD/HOQ, C&E, DOE, MSA, Design Reviews, etc)
- Apply OpEx concepts to identify and eliminate non-value added tasks and/or activities in the Product Development Process
- Lead efforts to design, establish, manage, and train on new Standard Test Methods and Standard Operating Procedures
- Establish metrics to build a performance KPI process with packaging suppliers
- Build a strong relationship with the packaging suppliers
- Develop a strategy for packaging design and packaging validation
- Lead improvement projects to optimize Quality lab workflow and reduce measurement variation; scope, design and qualify new equipment in the RD&E Quality laboratory
- Oversee the RD&E data collection processes, perform statistical data analysis, and provide technical reports to internal and external customers in a timely fashion.
- Support RD&E Design Verification and Validation efforts and product transitions from RD&E to Manufacturing via Item Qualification and Commercialization
- Improve and solidify the Measurement Systems Analysis program for RD&E instrumentation
- Investigate non-conformances discovered during the design and development of the product
- Utilize Statistical Process Control to reconcile proposed specification limits to development process variation and expected manufacturing variation
- Conduct and/or support quality audits
- Hold discussions and product team meetings; communicate technical issues and details to the project team and management
- Participate in safety reviews and Gemba walks; drive a culture of safety using 6S and other methodologies
- Travel to other facilities may be required to support manufacturing transfer and qualify/audit packaging suppliers
- Ensure that all tasks are conducted in accordance with the Inline Plastics Quality System procedures
- Complete additional tasks to support the RD&E team.
- Ability to develop into self-starter, have a hands-on approach, learn to work independently and the ability to plan and organize workload under minimum supervision
- Knowledge of Minitab, Lean Six Sigma and Design for Six Sigma tools and concepts is preferred
- Willingness to set personal daily, weekly and annual goals and reach them
- Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented with demonstrated organizational skills; ability to handle project plans, multi-task, follow up, and coordinate with stakeholders to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of end-to-end product development process preferred
- Exceptional organization, multitasking, and creative problem solving abilities are required
- Flexible with ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines in fast-paced environments
- Be a curious individual with the willingness to learn, the ability to take initiative, and possess strong analytical skills
- Strong collaboration, negotiating, conflict resolution, and teamwork skills with the ability to work well with both technical and non-technical personnel, and influence the direction of projects
Meet Some of Inline Plastics's Employees
Sarah helps spread the word about Inline Plastics to people and industries around the world through strategic marketing materials and campaigns.
Back to top