Job Title: SQL Database Administrator
Reports To: Manager Enterprise Systems
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervise the work of others: No
The ideal candidate will have experience in all aspects of SQL Server administration including architecture, build, management, high availability, disaster recovery and security best practices. This individual will be responsible for providing expertise in design, implementation, support and maintenance of large scale database environments. The candidate will manage and support current and future database environments, and guide initiatives for internal databases. Proactively seek out new technology and solutions to changing products. Research and create best practices for the deployment of new SQL features and solutions to critical issues. The candidate will help develop and centralize the management of SQL instances to reduce overhead.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This list is not comprehensive but meant to represent the most common or important duties of the position. Other duties may be required and/or assigned.
- Support production SQL Server database environments
- Work with application developers to design and develop new database strategies/schemas
- Monitor SQL Server activity on a proactive basis and tune the system for optimal performance
- Establish backup, restore and disaster recovery plans
- Deploy and manage SQL Server instances according to best practices
- Verify integrity and report on errors of both running databases and backups
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures, and definitions
- Be part of an on-call rotation for off-hours support and maintenance
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related IT field, preferred
- 7+ years of working knowledge deploying / maintaining SQL Server databases
- Exceptional organization skills to prioritize work and ability to balance service and project work
- Experience with, and solid knowledge of, SQL Server 2008 / 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2014
- Strong understanding of SQL Server security processes and standards
- Ability to write and troubleshoot complex SQL code
- Database design experience
- SQL Server High Availability design options (Clustering, SQL Replication, SAN replication backup solutions and disaster recovery approaches included)
- Experience in performance tuning, optimization, and monitoring using DMVs, Extended Events, Trace, execution plans, and other tools
- Ability to produce working documentation for executive management
- Experience working with applications built on SQL Server
- Experience setting up and configuring all SQL ancillary products, including Integration Services (SSIS), Reporting Services (SSRS), and Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Experience with SQL Server on VMWare and vSphere monitoring.
- Ability to create and implement custom, as well as third-party, monitoring and alerting solutions
- Working knowledge of Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 R2, Active Directory, DNS, local security policies, security delegation, Service Principle Names, storage configuration and optimization
- SQL design experience
- Familiarity with automation and scripting, with focus on PowerShell, C#, and other modern tools
- Familiarity with data compression and partitioning in a business intelligence data warehouse
Additional knowledge a plus but not required
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) in SQL Server 2012
- Log Shipping
On-going training: follows SQL MVP / expert blogs, involved in local SQL User Group, active in the local SQL Community
Essential Job Functions: Critical features of this job are described below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Mental: Must be able to effectively communicate with others; complete and understand complex analysis of numbers; read, analyze and interpret written materials; develop team to meet and exceed company standards; ensure compliance with company policies; respond appropriately to feedback to make improvements; maintain positive working relationships; troubleshoot and solve problems.
Physical: Must be able to hear and verbally communicate for hours at a time, use computer equipment. Moderate noise level and limited exposure to physical risk.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required: Knowledge of modern business communication, office procedures and methods. Skill to use a personal computer and various software packages such as Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to establish priorities, work independently with minimal supervision, and facilitate teamwork.
Equipment Used: headsets, telephones, computer, other office equipment as needed.
Special/ Additional Requirements: Persons in this position may be required to pass a drug, alcohol, credit, and/or criminal background check.
Meet Some of InfoCision's Employees
Director, IT Enterprise Systems & Support
Barbara—with the Help Desk and Production Support Teams—makes sure that InfoCision’s clients are well-equipped, supervising 450 servers and over 100 terabytes of InfoCision data and processes around the clock.
Back to top