At Index Exchange, Engineering is the foundation of everything we do. Over the past 2 years we’ve made a tremendous investment in our Engineering teams - in that span we've quadrupled our total Engineering headcount and cemented ourselves as one of Canada’s leading ad tech companies. We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join the team and help us continue to scale the growth of our Engineering squads. Leadership entails a nuanced understanding of the challenges and roadblocks faced by our development teams as they progress through projects. A successful manager is someone who has experienced those hurdles first-hand and offers both guidance and technical expertise to enable the development of cutting-edge technologies.
Your involvement as an Engineering Manager spans the breadth of the software development lifecycle. From design through deployment you are there to lead our teams. The ability to identify and foster talent is very important in this environment and you will be a key resource to identify and accelerate the growth of talent within our organization. As a manager you’ll sit down with every member of your team at least twice a year for formal performance reviews but feedback and support should be part of the way you operate daily. You will also be asked to be a key part of the hiring process, giving opinions not only on candidates but on how we can shape a better and more relevant process for finding the best talent.
Here’s what we want:
- Leader: Your foremost responsibility is to manage and lead our teams. We need someone who can inspire, motivate and make our Engineers better
- Technical: Your day-to-day doesn’t involve writing code but the teams you manage are comprised solely of Engineers and you need to have a strong foundation in software development and experience in what it’s like to write code
- Communication: We need someone who can give feedback (both positive and constructively critical). Communicate clearly and concisely to implement best practices and processes to ensure that all Engineers are on the same page
- Ownership: We want you to lead your team, celebrate successes and own the failures. In this role you’ll identify and manage technical risks and opportunities, taking responsibility for the quality of technical deliverables
- Innovation: Promote a culture of innovation that shares technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody a cross-functional Engineering culture that works for all departments, encouraging knowledge transfer and professional growth
Here’s what you have:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- 5+ years of development experience and at least 1-2 years as a direct manager
- Deep understanding of algorithms, design patterns, debugging and performance optimization
- A passion for cutting edge technologies, leading teams and nurturing talent amongst your reports
- Knowledge of contemporary development practices, methodologies and technologies is key
Why you’ll love working here:
- Work out of our Engineering HQ in midtown Toronto
- Open concept office designed to facilitate communication and collaboration
- Lunch catered in daily
- Flexible hours and relaxed dress code
- Monthly outings and annual Hack Days
- Full healthcare benefits, paid vacation, unlimited sick days, RRSP matching, discounted gym memberships and more
Index Exchange is a fully transparent advertising marketplace where premium digital publishers can sell their ad impressions to programmatic buyers in real time by conducting billions of micro-auctions, each lasting a fraction of a second, each and every day. Built on the pillars of neutrality, openness, and the most reliable technology, we aspire to be the ad exchange that online media companies can trust. Led by an experienced team of industry experts and pioneers, we’ve built our company on the premise that automation is the future, but the cost of automation should never be greater than the efficiency it provides.
Meet Some of Index Exchange's Employees
Director, Emerging Media
As the Director of Emerging Media, Andrew leads the Demand Team, which means bringing on new demand sources that are focused on mobile and video supply.
Back to top