Sr. System Administrator
What we're about
IMAX is not your everyday entertainment experience, so it's not surprising that IMAX employees and their careers go beyond the ordinary. Our employees share a passion for quality in everything they do. Our Hollywood people are movie business insiders with years of production experience. Our technology experts are unashamedly geeky - people who can talk for hours, and be riveting, about color gamut and lasers. Our business people are consummate sales and marketing professionals who are spreading the IMAX word around the world.
Of course we offer all the benefits you'd expect from a company with over 50 years of history. Yet, beyond this, we know everyone works differently and is motivated by different things. That's why we offer competitive pay and a wide assortment of benefits - to help you make the most of your life at work and away from it.
As the world's leading entertainment technology company, IMAX has revolutionized the way people experience movies. Specializing in immersive motion picture technologies, our employees are driven by a passion to take audiences around the world to places they've only dreamed of.
Come explore IMAX - where innovation, creativity and passion come together.
As part of the Production Technology Team, you will be working in a fast paced, dynamic and challenging environment with a multinational team of top notch engineers and administrators. This team is responsible for designing, engineering, deploying and maintaining the systems IMAX uses to deliver industry leading content to theaters around the world. You will be responsible for key critical systems that are essential to providing our products and services. You will work closely with our production teams to identify requirements and design best of breed, solutions to meet production requirements. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, detail oriented, self-starter with the desire to execute at the highest level and work with minimal supervision.
What you'll be doing:
- Manage and monitor all production related systems and storage and respond quickly and decisively as issues arise to bring about a quick resolution.
- Assist other members of the team with trouble tickets when needed expertise exceeds their skill set.
- Identify recurring tasks that are asked of the team and seek to develop better methodologies or tools to handle them.
- Provide expert level guidance in the design of new systems and software solutions to streamline workflows and operations.
- Leverage Perl, Python, Bash as needed to provide systems level automation.
- Provide clear and concise technical training of our systems to other departments as needed.
- Provide leadership in problem solving, issue identification and resolution.
- Handle Linux/Window account creation, access management for end users of our systems/software.
- Work with R&D and Developers to provide system builds that meet their requirements.
- Ensure HA for all mission critical systems and services, including backup planning.
- Identify and develop methods and procedures to enhance system security and auditing.
- Handle storage access and permissions.
- Documentation of all systems, services and software in our environment and maintain the documentation as changes occur, including diagrams and operational reports.
- Create runbooks and Ansible playbooks.
- Work with business partners to identify SLAs and develop and test system restoration and DR for both virtualized and bare metal systems to meet their criteria.
- Maintain and enhance data center, ensure ongoing work meets standards and monitor critical infrastructure such as power and cooling.
- Keep skills and knowledge current and stay informed of new trends in the industry.
What were looking for:
- Minimum 7 years experience at an Administrator level.
- Deep Linux knowledge including kernel tuning, network tuning, NAS and SAN.
- Demonstrated complex system design and implementation.
- Strong storage configuration experience with emphasis on Isilon and Qumulo.
- Scripting in Perl Python and Bash.
- Experience with monitoring tools such as SolarWinds, Nagios, etc.
- Experience with centralized management tools such as Puppet, Chef or Ansible.
- Exceptional documentation skills.Experience with documentation and diagraming tools such as Visio, Autocad, etc.
- Windows AD experience. Setting up accounts, access, DNS, DHCP.
- Cloud (AWS) experience is a plus.
- Proven troubleshooting and issue resolution skills.
- This position requires off hour work requirements, afternoon coverage and on call rotations within the team.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Analytical Thinking Ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach. Approaches a complex task or problem by breaking it down into its component parts and considering each part in detail. Weighs the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, in deciding.
- Sense of Urgency Prioritizes well, shows energy, reacts to opportunities, instills urgency in others, and meets deadlines.
- Communication Listens and interprets verbal and non-verbal inputs in order to ensure thoughts and ideas are understood. Organizes a response based on an awareness of content and intended audience.
- Team work / Collaboration Desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader/manager, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together.
For consideration, please apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest in IMAX but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At IMAX you'll be part of a culture built on respect - one that recognizes the unique talents of everyone on the team. We're proud of the differences that make us all unique and we support unity, acceptance and equal rights for all. Diversity and inclusion among our employees are critical to our success as a global company.
IMAX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Location Mississauga, Ontario, Canada Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Back to top