Manager, Corporate Accounting
- Mississauga, Canada
What we're about
IMAX is not your everyday entertainment experience, so it's not surprising that IMAX employees and their careers go beyond the ordinary. Our employees share a passion for quality in everything they do. Our Hollywood people are movie business insiders with years of production experience. Our technology experts are unashamedly geeky - people who can talk for hours, and be riveting, about color gamut and lasers. Our business people are consummate sales and marketing professionals who are spreading the IMAX word around the world.
Of course we offer all the benefits you'd expect from a company with over 50 years of history. Yet, beyond this, we know everyone works differently and is motivated by different things. That's why we offer competitive pay and a wide assortment of benefits - to help you make the most of your life at work and away from it.
As the world's leading entertainment technology company, IMAX has revolutionized the way people experience movies. Specializing in immersive motion picture technologies, our employees are driven by a passion to take audiences around the world to places they've only dreamed of.
Come explore IMAX - where innovation, creativity and passion come together.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Assistant Controler, this role is responsible for managing the Corporate Accounting team, ensuring various aspects of IMAX Corporation's corporate accounting and month-end close cycle are accurate and complete. The Manager, Corporate Accounting plays an important role as a key liaison between the Assistant Controller, Financial Reporting team and Corporate Accounting analysts, working closely with leaders to assess accounting issues and ensure the Company's reporting of actual results in a timely manner.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes.
- Manage Corporate Accounting team responsible for key aspects of the month-end close and quarterly and annual reporting in a US GAAP, public-company environment.
- Promote a culture of continuous process improvement, providing mentorship and guidance to Corporate Accounting team members, including two Financial Coordinators and three Senior Financial Analysts.
- Work collaboratively with other Finance teams, including Financial Reporting, Inventory Costing, Film Finance, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable, as well as other corporate departments.
- Implement process and procedural improvements to optimize the workflow within the department.
- Review analysis of IMAX's various revenue streams; including monthly finance income, joint revenue sharing arrangements, ongoing rent, and maintenance revenue.
- Assess and document the impact of amendments to sales contracts and ensure proper and timely communication to all Finance teams.
- Review and approve journal entries related to revenue recognition, fixed asset depreciation, prepaid expenses, long-term receivables, other assets, deferred revenue and intercompany balances.
- Oversee, review and approve the impact of foreign exchange, including hedging.
- Review and approve monthly and quarterly balance sheet account reconciliations and account analysis.
- Review the financial statements for owned and operated entities.
- Maintain up to date documentation of new lease arrangements and renewals and ensure proper accounting treatment.
- Act as a point of contact with the external auditor, and facilitate timely and accurate responses to internal and external audit requests.
- Oversee and contribute to special projects in the Finance group as required, including the adoption of new accounting standards under US GAAP.
What we're looking for:
- Post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Accounting or equivalent
- Professional Accountant (CPA, CA)
- Minimum 2-5 years experience in a manager role with direct reports in a large/global organization or large Audit firm
- Proficiency in US GAAP preferred
- Highly efficient, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to stay focused on tasks while meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to understand moderately complex contract terms
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- SAP experience is an asset
The ideal candidate will have:
- Leadership Ability to involve others in establishing a shared vision of where the group /function/business is going, sets an example by aligning behaviors with values.
- Business Acumen Understands the factors influencing our business and can integrate the various competing needs to ensure success for their group. Approach problems from a business perspective
- Technical/Professional Knowledge Strong level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
- Team work / Collaboration Desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader/manager, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together.
- Results Oriented Strong drive to meet or exceed goals and plans; consistently achieves objectives, delivers high quality solutions, adds value beyond immediate function. Stays focused and balances changing or competing priorities and responsibilities.
- Problem Solving Uses all available resources to assess the problem and to identify the best solution. anticipates problems and solves them.
- Judgment Ability to prioritize challenges, competing interests; displays diligence in decision making that has risk and/or financial impact
- Communication Listens and interprets verbal and non-verbal inputs in order to ensure thoughts and ideas are understood. Organizes a response based on an awareness of content and intended audience.
For consideration, please apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest in IMAX but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At IMAX you'll be part of a culture built on respect - one that recognizes the unique talents of everyone on the team. We're proud of the differences that make us all unique and we support unity, acceptance and equal rights for all. Diversity and inclusion among our employees are critical to our success as a global company.
IMAX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Location Mississauga, Ontario, Canada Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Back to top