Director, Legal and Business Affairs
What we're about
IMAX is not your everyday entertainment experience, so it's not surprising that IMAX employees and their careers go beyond the ordinary. Our employees share a passion for quality in everything they do. Our Hollywood people are movie business insiders with years of production experience. Our technology experts are unashamedly geeky - people who can talk for hours, and be riveting, about color gamut and lasers. Our business people are consummate sales and marketing professionals who are spreading the IMAX word around the world.
Of course we offer all the benefits you'd expect from a company with over 50 years of history. Yet, beyond this, we know everyone works differently and is motivated by different things. That's why we offer competitive pay and a wide assortment of benefits - to help you make the most of your life at work and away from it.
As the world's leading entertainment technology company, IMAX has revolutionized the way people experience movies. Specializing in immersive motion picture technologies, our employees are driven by a passion to take audiences around the world to places they've only dreamed of.
Come explore IMAX - where innovation, creativity and passion come together.
What you'll be doing:
IMAX seeks an experienced attorney to serve as Director, Legal & Business Affairs, working on the development, production, financing, acquisition and distribution of documentaries, concerts, and other forms of unscripted theatrical content. This is a unique opportunity to be part of an important IMAX initiative focusing on expanding the notion of theatrical exhibition and to help IMAX shape the future of immersive entertainment.
- Draft and negotiate agreements for the development, production, financing, acquisition and distribution of unscripted theatrical content, including co-financing/co-production agreements, production services agreements, above-the-line agreements (producers, directors), security agreements and related documents.
- Handle day-to-day development and production matters in close collaboration with various internal stakeholders (i.e., finance, tax, music, post-production, marketing, PR), outside counsel, and third-party producers.
- Provide timely, solution-oriented advice on a wide range of development and production-related issues, including intellectual property rights, privacy, music, clearances, guild/union and labor issues, insurance, credits and delivery.
- Advise the Company on a variety of music-related issues; coordinate music clearances with internal and external music clearance specialists.
- Work closely with IMAX business and creative executives to discuss and implement best practices, formulate new processes, and create agreement templates.
- Advise with respect to IMAX's rights to exploit library content in various media and territories.
What we're looking for:
- JD and member in good standing of a State Bar.
- 5+ years of broad-based development, production, financing and acquisition legal experience with respect to theatrical content, preferably in-house at a studio or independent production company.
- Excellent negotiating and drafting skills.
- Experience negotiating with agents and talent lawyers.
- Knowledge of substantive areas of the law relevant to unscripted content, such as defamation, fair use, copyright and privacy rights.
- Knowledge of entertainment labor/guild framework.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
- Good judgment and strong critical thinking skills.
- Ability to balance multiple matters simultaneously and to adapt quickly to shifting priorities.
- Willingness to take ownership and control of complex projects.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to draft clear, precise, thoughtful and direct language.
- Can-do attitude with enthusiasm for the work and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of and interest in the evolving international media landscape.
For consideration, please apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest in IMAX but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At IMAX you'll be part of a culture built on respect - one that recognizes the unique talents of everyone on the team. We're proud of the differences that make us all unique and we support unity, acceptance and equal rights for all. Diversity and inclusion among our employees are critical to our success as a global company.
IMAX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Location Los Angeles, California, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Meet Some of IMAX's Employees
Brittney B.Associate Manager, Global Events & Sales Planning
Brittney works with the Sales and Marketing teams to secure theater deals and promote the IMAX brand. She also identifies corporate sponsors for a variety of conferences, events, and speaking opportunities.
Back to top