Director, Legal Affairs
What we're about
IMAX is not your everyday entertainment experience, so it's not surprising that IMAX employees and their careers go beyond the ordinary. Our employees share a passion for quality in everything they do. Our Hollywood people are movie business insiders with years of production experience. Our technology experts are unashamedly geeky - people who can talk for hours, and be riveting, about color gamut and lasers. Our business people are consummate sales and marketing professionals who are spreading the IMAX word around the world.
Of course we offer all the benefits you'd expect from a company with over 50 years of history. Yet, beyond this, we know everyone works differently and is motivated by different things. That's why we offer competitive pay and a wide assortment of benefits - to help you make the most of your life at work and away from it.
As the world's leading entertainment technology company, IMAX has revolutionized the way people experience movies. Specializing in immersive motion picture technologies, our employees are driven by a passion to take audiences around the world to places they've only dreamed of.
Come explore IMAX - where innovation, creativity and passion come together.
The Director, Legal Affairs will advise internal constituencies on the Company's legal rights and obligations across a wide spectrum of issues. This role will be primarily responsible for securities and finance matters, including SEC reporting and compliance. This role will also provide employment and benefits-related legal counsel, manage litigation matters, and draft and negotiate a large variety of corporate and commercial agreements. This role will be located in the Company's New York City headquarters and will report to the Senior Vice President, Legal Affairs and Corporate Secretary.
What you'll be doing:
Securities, Finance and Commercial
- Work with senior management and the Finance Department to draft and review periodic reports on Forms 10-K and 10-Q.
- Review press releases and draft current reports on Form 8-K.
- Work with senior management, Human Resources, compensation consultants and others in organizing and drafting the annual proxy statement.
- Supervise the preparation and filing of Section 16 reports.
- Partner with the Equity Plan Manager in administering the Company's long-term incentive plan.
- Work closely with the Finance Department in executing on share repurchase programs and other treasury matters.
- Provide general advice with respect to securities law matters affecting the Company.
- Oversee corporate finance transactions and ensure compliance with the Company's senior secured credit facility.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of business and vendor agreements.
- Function as the Legal Department's expert on employment and benefits-related legal and regulatory
- Advise the HR Department in connection with legal issues concerning the employer/employee relationship in jurisdictions around the world, including those relating to employee relations, discrimination, termination, compensation and benefits.
- Assist the HR Department in developing, drafting and negotiating employment and consulting agreements, as well as HR policies and
- Work with the Senior Vice President, Legal Affairs and Corporate Secretary to formulate litigation strategy.
- Oversee and interact with outside counsel on pending litigation matters, including assisting in drafting and reviewing briefs, motions and court pleadings, coordinating and preparing witnesses, and all other litigation
- Manage discovery, including overseeing litigation support vendors.
What we're looking for:
- J.D. degree, strong academic credentials, and membership in good standing of the New York State Bar.
- At least 4-6 years of combined law firm and in-house experience, preferably with experience working at a publicly-traded corporation.
- Significant familiarity with the requirements of the Securities Act of 1933, the Exchange Act of 1934, and other public company laws and regulations.
- Experience drafting a variety of business agreements and handling litigation matters and employment law. Experience with entertainment law, international legal issues and intellectual property a plus.
- Strong command of general legal principles and a high level of business
- Ability to identify and manage risk and to provide practical, results-oriented legal advice that helps the Company achieve its business
- Flexibility to take on tasks in new or unfamiliar areas of the law.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently with minimal supervision, and establish priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with colleagues, clients, and outside
- Effective time management skills, with the ability to balance multiple matters concurrently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
For consideration, please apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest in IMAX but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
IMAX is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location New York City, New York, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Back to top