What we're about
IMAX is not your everyday entertainment experience, so it's not surprising that IMAX employees and their careers go beyond the ordinary. Our employees share a passion for quality in everything they do. Our Hollywood people are movie business insiders with years of production experience. Our technology experts are unashamedly geeky - people who can talk for hours, and be riveting, about color gamut and lasers. Our business people are consummate sales and marketing professionals who are spreading the IMAX word around the world.
We offer all the benefits you'd expect from a company with over 50 years of history. Yet, beyond this, we know everyone works differently and is motivated by different things. That's why we offer competitive pay and a wide assortment of benefits - to help you make the most of your life at work and away from it.
As the world's leading entertainment technology company, IMAX has revolutionized the way people experience movies. Specializing in immersive motion picture technologies, our employees are driven by a passion to take audiences around the world to places they've only dreamed of.
Come explore IMAX - where innovation, creativity and passion come together.
The Assistant Controller is a hands-on leader with a team of four direct-reports. This role will manage full cycle accounting, credit and collections, A/P functions, general ledger, and assist in the analysis of results. Ownership, influence, and impact.
What you'll be doing:
- Oversight of day-to-day controllership finance functions
- Standardize and harmonize accounting processes across the business units
- The overall financial close process.
- Oversee and drive efficiencies for the monthly close processes.
- Meet the targets set in the financial calendar, and improve processes to shorten close timing
- Lead monthly financial discussions and reviews to ensure alignment of the financial results
- Support key financial processes including purchase-to-payables, order-to-collections, banking, and payroll.
- Coordinate the External Audit requirements, play a part in continuing to transform the audit and assist in automating reporting to ensure internal and external demands are met
- Work in partnership with senior management to facilitate discussions, interpret results and provide guidance as a value-add partner to business units
- Manage credit collection process, ensuring KPIs are met.
- Manage payables process, ensuring timeliness and completeness of expense capture
- Provide leadership and mentoring as you help the team to achieve their KPIs.
- Build an effective team by aligning the goals of the company with their individual development goals.
- Provide the support and tools to retain and grow your team.
What we're looking for:
- Professional accounting designation CPA (CA) combined with 10 years of accounting and management experience
- A solid understanding of U.S. GAAP
- Experience within the 'Big Four' would be preferable.
- Excel Superuser and have hands-on experience with SAP
- Experience migrating from manual to automation in ERP
The ideal candidate will have:
- Accountability - Takes personal responsibility for outcomes and makes decisions based on sound judgment.
- Analytical Thinking - Ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach. Approaches a complex task or problem by breaking it down into its component parts and considering each part in detail. Weighs the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, in making a decision.
- Building Collaborative Relationships - Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the company, who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Coaching - Provide timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
- Communication - Listens and interprets verbal and non-verbal inputs in order to ensure thoughts and ideas are understood. Organizes a response based on an awareness of content and intended audience.
- Decisiveness - Takes charge of a group when it is necessary to facilitate change, overcome an impasse, face issues, or ensure that decisions are made. Makes tough decisions.
- Detail and quality focus - Attentive to detail and accuracy committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality problems.
- Judgment - Ability to prioritize challenges, competing interests; displays diligence in decision making that has risk and/or financial impact
- Leadership - Ability to involve others in establishing a shared vision of where the group /function/business is going, sets an example by aligning behaviours with values.
- Results Oriented - Strong drive to meet or exceed goals and plans; consistently achieves objectives, delivers high quality solutions, adds value beyond immediate function. Stays focused and balances changing or competing priorities and responsibilities.
- Technical/Professional Knowledge - Strong level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
For consideration, please apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest in IMAX but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At IMAX you'll be part of a culture built on respect - one that recognizes the unique talents of everyone on the team. We're proud of the differences that make us all unique and we support unity, acceptance and equal rights for all. Diversity and inclusion among our employees are critical to our success as a global company.
IMAX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Location Mississauga, Ontario, Canada Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Meet Some of IMAX's Employees
Brittney B.Associate Manager, Global Events & Sales Planning
Brittney works with the Sales and Marketing teams to secure theater deals and promote the IMAX brand. She also identifies corporate sponsors for a variety of conferences, events, and speaking opportunities.
Back to top