Senior Software Engineer
Illumio delivers adaptive security for every computing environment, protecting the 80 percent of data center and cloud traffic missed by the perimeter. The company’s Adaptive Security Platform™ visualizes application traffic and delivers continuous, scalable, and dynamic policy and enforcement to every bare-metal server, VM, and container in data centers and public clouds. Using Illumio, enterprises such as Morgan Stanley, Plantronics, NTT, King Entertainment, and Creative Artists Agency have achieved secure application and cloud migration, environmental segmentation, high-value application protection from breaches and threats, and compliance with no changes to applications or infrastructure
We are looking for help in a core team building our Policy Compute Engine, the central brain of Illumio’s system. We are a small, flat group. We embolden and listen to each engineer, not just the good orators or strong voices. We seek help with the design of critical features and subsystems and need someone who can not only come with the ideas but can also think things through; work out the details and defend the design before her peers. You will be writing non-blocking concurrent code for a distributed system that works inside the datacenter and across geographic boundaries.
Our system is part of mission critical infrastructure for investment banks, SaaS providers, and large enterprise customers. We seek someone with strong engineering fundamentals, who understands the trade-offs between complexity and reliability, employing a variety of concepts ranging from connection pipelining to reliable broadcast protocol design. Most of our code is written in Ruby, which we chose mainly for the high productivity (we don’t use much of Rails framework, though). Instead of thread pools so widely used in JVM/CLR, we utilize process forking and evented code (similar to NodeJS and Twisted) to scale writing Ruby extensions in C is very easy and encouraged. The variety of open source technologies we utilize to support our app include Redis, used as NoSQL data store and also for set arithmetic and graph computation. PostgreSQL is our reliable, transactional relational database. We use ActiveRecord Object/Relational mapper to access our relational data, similar to Hibernate, Django etc.
The other tools include NGINX, Memcached etc. Last but not least we are a start-up with tight deadlines, and a dynamic environment. Our guiding philosophy from the beginning is focus, get things right, and practice disciplined engineering that does not cut corners.
- BS in Computer Science or related engineering discipline and 5+ years of industry experience
- Industry experience building and delivering high-performance, scalable, distributed systems
- Previous experience with building multi-tier applications and SOA/micro-services architecture
- Good understanding of the available Open Source components for data persistence, caching, messaging, etc. and experience integrating them to build high-performance applications
- Deep understanding of the use of SQL databases in building highly-available enterprise applications. Understanding of NoSQL options.
- Excellent coding skills in Java, Python and the desire to learn Ruby.
- Expertise on Linux
NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience building management systems
- Some networking and security experience
- Experience with 3rd party integrations, including systems for Authentication/Authorization, LDAP, SAML, Eventing, Logging, CMDB and more
- MS or Ph.D in Computer Science or related engineering discipline
Illumio discovers and contains cyber vulnerabilities inside the datacenter. Illumio reduces the surface area of attack by securing the 80 percent of data center and cloud traffic missed by the perimeter. The Illumio Adaptive Security Platform (ASP) visualizes application traffic and delivers continuous, scalable and dynamic policy and enforcement to every bare-metal server, VM and container in data center and public cloud infrastructure. Organizations such as Morgan Stanley, Plantronics, NTT, King Entertainment, and Creative Artists Agency are using Illumio to enable cloud migration, achieve DevOps speed and segment applications and environments for compliance or segmentation. Founded in January 2013, Illumio has raised $142.5 million from leading enterprise software investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Accel Partners, General Catalyst, BlackRock Funds, as well as industry leaders such as Jerry Yang, Marc Benioff and Microsoft Chairman John W. Thompson.
Back to top