Open to Remote Work
This role can be remote from anywhere in the United States. Our HQ is located in Sunnyvale, CA and in a future (Post Covid-19) world, some travel to HQ will be required once a quarter.
Who We Are:
Illumio, the pioneer and market leader of Zero Trust segmentation, prevents breaches from becoming cyber disasters. Illumio protects critical applications and valuable digital assets with proven segmentation technology purpose-built for the Zero Trust security model. Illumio ransomware mitigation and segmentation solutions see risk, isolate attacks, and secure data across cloud-native apps, hybrid and multi-clouds, data centers, and endpoints, enabling the world’s leading organizations to strengthen their cyber resiliency and reduce risk.
What We Are About:
Illumio’s mission is to enable every organization to realize a future without high-profile breaches. We provide intelligent visibility and control to separate and protect high-value assets for the world’s leading organizations. Our engineering, security, and product teams have established a culture based on thought leadership, independence, and responsibility. This powerful dynamic drives us forward as we work to make the digital world a safer place.
Those who join us represent the leader in Zero Trust security and work on a technology stack that ranges from operating systems to distributed applications to UI and visualization. Together, we will continue to build world-class products—driven by people with different perspectives, backgrounds, and a commitment to innovation in a time when the world faces its greatest cybersecurity threats in history.
The Team You Will Join:
Our Engineering team has established a culture based on thought leadership, independence, and responsibility. This powerful dynamic drives us forward as we work to make the digital world a safer place.
Join our growing core team, responsible for building the Policy Compute Engine, the central brain of Illumio Core and Illumio Edge. We are a small, high-functioning team that empowers engineers to innovate and build a world class product. We ask for ownership at all levels of the organization rather than rely on a centralized management body. We primarily write code in Ruby and use PostgreSQL and Redis in the data layer. We integrate with Docker, Kubernetes/Openshift, and cloud platforms. We welcome people with backgrounds in other languages and technology stacks along with a desire to learn.
The Impact You Will Make:
- Write non-blocking, concurrent code for a distributed system that is deployed in our SaaS, inside the datacenter, and across geographic boundaries.
- Design critical features and subsystems, work out all of the details, defend the design before your peers, and deliver a rock-solid implementation.
- Mentor junior engineers, new-grads, and interns to help them grow as engineers and become productive members of the team.
- Contribute high quality, scalable code to the Illumio Policy Compute Engine, running in the Illumio SaaS and customer data centers.
- Own critical features and subsystems within the Policy Compute Engine application.
- Drive the entire software development lifecycle, from clarifying requirements to ensuring their successful deployment and usage by customers.
- Provide leadership around building robust features and applications through code reviews, design reviews, and evangelizing coding best practices.
- Collaborate closely with a strong cross-functional team with the goal of building a world class product.
What You Bring:
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Solid foundation in data structures and algorithms, operating systems and networking concepts, and debugging skills.
- Experience building large, distributed, and scalable software systems.
- Experience with cloud application design and development, webservices, and REST APIs.
- Experience with higher level programming languages (e.g. Ruby, Python) and/or demonstrated ability to learn new languages.
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL).
- Experience with container environments such as Kubernetes/Openshift is highly desirable.
- Experience building security policy management software is a plus
The Benefits/Perks You Will Enjoy:
- Generous vacation/sick leave
- Health, Vision, and Dental with HSA or FSA, EAP
- Paid Holidays
- Gym reimbursement
- Life & AD&D, Long & Short-term disability, EAP program
- Continuous learning program through our extensive internal LMS and personal Linkedin Learning access