Vice President, Information Technology
Our IT Department will lead the way to getting us to future milestones by implementing technologies that will enable us to be industry leaders! The Vice President, Information Technology will be focused on enabling the business success through the strategic design, security and optimization of information and digital resources across all ICW Group companies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Formulate and deploy long-term strategic plan for acquiring and enabling efficient and effective information and digital technologies.
- Consult with Executive leadership to understand the strategic business opportunities and jointly creates a future technology vision for the Company;
- Proactively identify future needs and challenges for the business and creates a strategy and roadmap for achieving technology/digital goals;
- Continually drive organization toward increases in Company’s technology/digital maturity levels;
- Advise senior executives on emerging technologies and digital trends relevant to the company’s goals and future needs; recommends opportunities to pursue involving technology/digital solutions to help drive business success.
- Ensure on an on-going basis that current and planned technical architecture, investments and solutions are aligned with company business objectives;
- Communicate the vision, plan and achievements of the IT Department to the executives and other stakeholders to ensure buy-in, understanding and alignment with Company and other department goals
Oversee all components of the technology and digital universe that support company operations and business applications.
- Establish the philosophy, cadence, and methodology for delivering products and services to the organization.
- Initiate, approve and enforce IT policies, processes, portfolio management, and development standards including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, and service provision.
- Develop and conduct IT department operational planning process, including business requirements, project planning, and organizing and negotiating the allocation of resources;
- Ensure operational and service metrics (KPIs) are developed and deployed to measure quality of service, effectiveness of technologies, ease of use and overall impact of IT on the business.
- Maintain oversight of all IT projects, ensuring that commitments are properly planned, staffed, monitored and reported.
- Monitor the industry for developments in IT operations and business applications; evaluates and implements relevant new tools and service management frameworks for IT and recommends new business applications to Line of Business/Shared Services leaders;
- Oversee the design, implementation and on-going effectiveness of an enterprise-wide technology disaster recovery and business continuity plan in partnership with Business Resiliency.
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive enterprise information security program to ensure the integrity, confidentiality and availability of relevant data.
Direct the business affairs of the Information Technology Department
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives and oversees and approves budgets for IT units, ensuring compliance with Company and IT goals, guidelines, and roadmap;
- Establish periodic reviews of IT systems’ performance to determine operating costs, productivity levels, and upgrade requirements; benchmarks, analyzes, and makes recommendations for the improvement of the IT infrastructure and IT systems.
- Review and approve bid requirements and submitted bids for all hardware and software upgrades and new purchases/leases, and makes the appropriate award. Oversee the negotiation and administration of vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements in partnership with PVMS, HR and other stakeholder departments.
- Direct research on potential technology solutions and implementations in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts.
- Develop and implements all IT policies and procedures and ensures effective compliance monitoring is in place.
Leads the IT Team in delivering high quality and timely products and services to the organization.
- Foster an IT culture that consistently demonstrates commitment to the Company Mission and Values and is characterized by transparency, innovation and accountability; ensures equitable treatment and an environment that is free of harassment, discrimination and bullying;
- Develop an IT leadership team that collaborates well, provides superior guidance to IT Team Members, operates within the parameters of established company policies and procedures, and creates synergy within the IT organization;
- Oversee the hiring, development, commitment and retention of a well-skilled IT workforce with above-benchmark engagement scores. Reinforces relevant competencies and an ICW Group mindset;
- Ensure that training and development is provided on a consistent basis to maintain and enhance skill levels in all IT disciplines; recognizes high potentials and provides additional training, resources and stretch assignments to motivate individual growth.
- Stimulate innovation among the IT team by establishing practices that allow for ideas to be elevated and tested without penalty;
- Communicate regularly and with passion to Team Members and other ICW Group stakeholders about technology and IT operations; serves as subject matter expert and educator for the organization about emerging technologies.
Oversee the full-cycle employee management of a department of 90-110 direct and indirect Team Members and 30-50 consultants – both on and off-shore as well as in-house. Typically has 5-9 direct reports.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year College or university in the field of computer science or information systems and 15 years IT related work experience in the financial services sector.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing and/or directing an IT organization for a mid-size or larger company.
- Knowledge of business theory, business processes, management, budgeting, and business office operations.
- Proven experience in IT infrastructure and Business Applications strategic planning and development, project management, and policy development.
- Extensive knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook.
- Good understanding and technical knowledge of current network and operating systems, hardware, protocols, and standards.
- Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management.
- Strong leadership, coaching and mentoring skills.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Must be able to apply a “right-sized” solution to technology and business problems faced by a fast growing mid-size P&C carrier. Must have the ability to quickly and professionally put together solutions to complex topics in PowerPoint presentations for Executive management and/or direct staff.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Must be able to read, write and speak effectively. Ability to effectively organize and present information to all levels of audiences, both internal and external.
Back to top