Vice President, Human Resources
- San Diego, CA
This is an exciting opportunity for an executive role with an industry leading company. The Vice President – Human Resources creates and oversees delivery of the organization’s people strategies to ensure human resources capabilities meet the organization demand, enterprise risk is managed, company culture advances the mission and values and business growth is enabled through effective human resource and change management practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Creates and implements the organization’s people strategy and workforce planning and executes key programs and initiatives in support of the strategy.
- Develops long and short term people strategy in partnership with senior leadership and in alignment with corporate business strategic plan.
- Establishes an annual operating plan and budget to enable the execution of key initiatives, programs and projects. Oversees execution and monitors progress, reporting back to organization leadership.
- Measures success of programs and processes to ensure they are achieving the goals and are positively impacting retention and engagement of talent or other stated objectives.
Oversees the development, implementation and monitoring of organization human resources policies and practices
- Establishes principles and practices for managing employee relations to mitigate risk.
- Ensures effective communication, promotion and training strategies are in place to articulate the policies and procedures to leaders and Team Members. Ensures leaders are properly trained to understand and adhere to policies and practices.
- Establishes and monitors employee relations activities and organizational climate to proactively identify and manage risks. Supervises employee relations operations.
Drives organization effectiveness, talent development, learning and change management strategies and programs to advance the business
- Establishes and advances effective internal consultancies and learning opportunities to assist leaders in driving engagement, retention, and development of their Team Members.
- Oversees the development and Company adoption of the enterprise change management model. Ensures execution of change management work stream activities for all significant organization changes.
- Establishes recruiting and talent management strategy and oversees talent operations to ensure sufficient capabilities are available to meet business objectives.
- Creates a climate of development within the organization and oversees the Learning and Development Team operations. Oversees administration of the Learning Management System (LMS).
- Conceptualizes and promotes innovative programs for Team Member recruiting, engagement, retention and development.
Directs the Total Reward strategy and practice for the enterprise
- Establishes the total rewards philosophy in partnership with executive management.
- Establishes, monitors and periodically revises Company compensation design principles, benchmarking procedures and policies and procedures.
- Proposes and gains executive and Board approval for key annual compensation components, including merit budgets, bonus budgets and 401k match.
- Ensures proper benchmarking of executive compensation and in partnership with senior executive leadership, prepares and presents annual executive compensation proposals to the Compensation Committee.
- Oversees the design of new compensation plans and monitors their administration.
- Establishes the Benefits strategy and oversees the administration of Benefits.
- Supervises Compensation and Benefits operations.
Ensures effective and efficient management of Human Resources operations and services
- Ensures effective human resource management systems, processes and standards are in place and in accordance with business strategies and federal, state, local regulatory requirements and the servicing strategy
- Establishes the HRIS strategy, promoting automation and use of emerging technologies to improve effectiveness, customer experience and efficiency. Supervises HRIS operations.
- Ensures payroll practices and administration are accurate, timely and compliant with all regulations.
- Oversees audit processes and adjusts any practices needed to ensure compliance.
Champions effective internal communications to Team Members
- Establishes and ensures compliance with communication protocols for enterprise Team Member communication
- Establishes tone for Team Member communication and ensures seamless execution
- Prepares critical incident or crisis communication plans and messaging for issues involving Team Members, Executives or other HR-related items; may partner with Enterprise Marketing, Business Resiliency and other departments in planning and executing.
Serves as counsel to Executive Team in matters of employee relations, organization effectiveness, development and change management
- Provides coaching and guidance to executives in establishing and executing their development plan.
- Identifies strategies and solutions for Team Member issues.
- Encourages development of the executive leadership brand to create and maintain a positive perception of organization leadership;
- Participates as a member of the Executive Management Committee and contributes ideas, feedback and dialogue that serves to advance the enterprise
May oversee other support functions within the enterprise
- Provides guidance to department leaders in setting strategy, operating plan, staffing, priorities, and budget
- Approves budgets, contracts, and other necessary items in alignment with approval matrix
- Ensures department operates in an efficient and effective manner and provides an excellent customer experience and delivers value to the organization
Demonstrates model corporate citizenry
- Serves as the culture ambassador for the enterprise, ensuring community vision and actions align among all leaders and all facilities
- Ensures that the Team Member experience is positive and consistent across the enterprise.
- Ensures that the organization maintains a welcoming climate of inclusion and diversity and that its practices support harassment prevention, a safe and respectful work environment and provides for immediate investigation and remediation where violations exist.
- Serves on assigned committees and contributes ideas, feedback and dialogue to further the Committee Charter and goals.
- Seeks opportunities to promote the organization at functions, conferences or speaking engagements
- Visibly participates in leading charity and other company-sponsored activities
- Demonstrates adherence to Company Mission and Values in all actions
- Maintains knowledge and understanding in all areas of responsibility.
Develops and leads Human Resources team and manages the HR Department including HR Operations, Talent Management, Recruiting and Learning and Development.
- Provides strategic direction to Human Resources and other assigned teams. Communicates Mission, Values and other organization operating principles to direct and indirect reports.
- Establishes and maintains the overall work cadence and ensures performance and outcomes strive for excellence in delivery and customer experience. Ensures that the entire department is engaged and that leadership practices for the department encourage development, recognition and retention.
- Establishes and holds managers and supervisors accountable for adhering to hiring criteria, on-boarding and training requirements for incoming Team Members.
- Oversees the performance management and development process for the Department and performs performance management duties, development planning and coaching for direct reports.
- Acts as a resource and escalation for Human Resources team members to answer questions and solve complex problems.
- Manages Department budget, technology strategy, workload and customer requests for Human Resources services. Ensures adherence to all Company policies and procedures and Compliance responsibilities
- Ensures data quality, adherence to IT security policies and guidelines, profitability and other risk-related metrics for self and members of the team.
This position directly supervises positions up through Manager and indirectly supervises HR Department of approximately 15-20 Team Members.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferably in the disciplines of business, HR, industrial psychology or related social science field; advanced leadership education preferred
7-10 years’ experience in an HR leadership role setting strategy, developing and executing on operating plans and managing multiple HR functions in an organization with multiple state operations; recent California HR experience is required
Must have demonstrated experience establishing a positive employee relations approach and in being solution-driven along with a strong sense of discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality
Demonstrated expertise implementing “best practice” HR policies and practices as well as Federal, State and Local employment laws and the regulatory environment.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Strong verbal, written, communication skills; expert presentation skills
Ability to build and maintain confidence and relationships with leaders and Board Members
Demonstrated good judgment and problem solving skills; ability to quickly assess situations and determine appropriate actions
Competent in the use and understanding of technology, including HRIS systems and Microsoft Office applications.
Strong influencing, negotiating and consultation skills
Ability to multitask and prioritize a must. A wide degree of creativity, near- and long-term strategic vision, business understanding, and personal organization
Working knowledge of all areas of HR functions– including Learning and Development and multi-state payroll operations;
Data and analytical abilities with experience in surveying, financial analysis of programs and initiatives; budgeting, workforce planning and compensation reporting
Ability to travel up to 15% of time as appropriate to achieve department and Company objectives.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
HRCI, SHRM or other HR Professional certifications desirable
This position maps to the Executive level. Additional competencies required: None.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or periodically stand and work on a computer for 80-90% of time. Will be viewing a video monitor 80-90% of time. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 5 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Bachelors or better.
Back to top