Systems Engineer II
- San Diego, CA
ICW Group's Infrastructure and Operations Team is seeking a Systems Engineer II. This person will cross collaborate with other teams to assist in ensuring ICW Group’s computing environment and infrastructure technologies are properly designed and implemented in support of ICW business outcomes. This position exists to manage complex systems and optimize work-processes for the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provides lifecycle support for all infrastructure and computing systems from design to troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Design, implements, and manages VMware virtualization environment components (vSphere, vRA, vROPS, ESX, NSX).
- Designs tools to automate the deployment and installation of new software releases, system upgrades (Ansible, Chef, Salt, Puppet).
- Evaluates and installs patches, and resolves software related problems.
- Designs and engineers Windows, Linux, VMWare hosts, and storage infrastructure.
- Designs and implements account management processes using Active Directory, user identity management, single sign on systems, enterprise messaging and collaboration technologies, and enterprise data storage environment where applicable.
- Applies revisions to host system firmware and software.
- Designs systems for scalability, security, and availability while providing overall capacity management targets and forecasts.
Defines procedures for monitoring, evaluating, and diagnosing, and establishes a work plan to resolve system issues.
- Specifies, designs, and implements system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools for 24x7 environments(Splunk, Solarwinds, Elastic, Rapid 7).
- Researches, develops, and tests new computing technologies (Containers, Cloud, Automation).
- Completes transition of systems into production via change management, including non-functional requirements and systems admin turnover documentation.
- Develops solutions and automates repetitive tasks in a common scripting or programming language such as Bash, PowerShell, and Python.
- Creates, enforces, and manages policies and procedures for VMware and Linux storage environments.
Provide daily support to the organization
- Prioritizes the day-to-day technical tasks for assigned systems.
- Provides escalated support for large enterprise network to include Windows servers, ESX hosts, network, back office, and lines of business applications.
- Manages the integration of cloud application and infrastructure services into existing IT systems
- Aligns virtualization strategy to meet all business requirements.
- Conducts technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure team.
This role does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university: Computer Science, Information Systems or related degree, preferred. Minimum 5 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Microsoft MCSE 2008 technical certification desired. VMware Certified Professional, Red Hat Linux, CCNA, and JNCIA technical certifications preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
Must be a strong logical and analytical thinker with attention to detail. Able to find root causes of problems and quickly determine efficient solutions. Able to anticipate and mitigate risks. Ability to work comfortably under high-stress situations and exhibits poise and focus. Strong understanding of relevant business systems, operating systems, and servers. Possesses knowledge of networking concepts (e.g. Systems, Protocols, and Directory Services). Skilled in light scripting and troubleshooting. Has an understanding of how software behaves in order to deploy, configure, and troubleshoot systems, and continuously optimizes system performance. Working knowledge as a Systems Admin support in designing, implementing, and maintaining Microsoft based enterprise applications and systems including Enterprise Backup and Recovery systems. Working knowledge in supporting applications running in VMware ESX environment and with Enterprise Storage technology environments as well as experience with Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or other automation, configuration, orchestration, or scheduling systems in addition to supporting Microsoft-SQL Servers, preferred.
This job operates in a professional office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently will sit, stand, walk, and bend during working hours. Requires manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. requires normal or corrected vision and hearing corrected to a normal range. Ability to work overtime and on nights and weekends, as needed.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.
Back to top