Systems Engineer I
- San Diego, CA
Come join our Infrastructure and Operations team as a Systems Engineer I at ICW Group! The purpose of this job is to assist in ensuring ICW Group’s computing environment and infrastructure technologies are properly designed and implemented in support of ICW business outcomes. This position exists to manage complex systems and optimize work-processes for the organization. Virtual environments, disaster recovery and career growth possibilities are what this team member has to look forward to!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Administers and troubleshoots systems.
- Designs, implements, and manages VMware virtualization environment components (vSphere , vRA, vROPS, ESX, NSX).
- Participates in aligning the virtualization strategy to meet disaster recovery, recovery time objectives, recovery point objectives, and service level agreements to meet all business requirements.
- Provides escalated support for large enterprise network to include Windows servers, ESX hosts, network, back office, and lines of business applications.
- Develops automated troubleshooting and information gathering tasks.
- Participates in developing solutions to automate repetitive tasks in a common scripting or programming language such as Perl, PowerShell, and Ruby.
Designs, implements, and maintains systems assigned.
- Participates in the automation of deployment and installation of new software releases and system upgrades.
- Evaluates and installs patches, and resolves software related problems.
- Participates in the design and engineering of Windows, Linux, VMWare hosts, and storage infrastructure.
- Participates in the technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure team.
- Participates in the design and implementation of Active Directory, user identity management, single sign on systems, enterprise messaging and collaboration technologies, and enterprise data storage environment.
- Collaborates in the design of systems for scalability, security, and availability while providing overall capacity management targets and forecasts.
- Prioritizes the daily technical tasks for systems assigned.
Implements and maintains Configuration Management practices for all application software systems.
- Maintains documentation for all hardware, operating systems and application software systems.
- Enforces, manages, and creates policies and procedures for the VMware and Linux storage environments.
- Completes transition of systems into production via change management, including non-functional requirements and systems admin turnover documentation.
- Applies revisions to host system firmware and software.
- Implements system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools for 24x7 environments
This role does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university: Computer Science, Information Systems or related degree, preferred. Minimum 2 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current Microsoft certification highly preferred. VMware Certified Professional, Red Hat Linux, CCNA, and JNCIA technical certifications preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
Must be a strong logical and analytical thinker with attention to detail. Able to find root causes of problems and quickly determine efficient solutions. Able to anticipate and mitigate risks. Ability to work comfortably under high-stress situations and exhibits poise and focus. Strong understanding of relevant business systems, operating systems, and servers. Possesses knowledge of networking concepts (e.g. Systems, Protocols, and Directory Services). Skilled in light scripting and troubleshooting. Has an understanding of how software behaves in order to deploy, configure, and troubleshoot systems, and continuously optimizes system performance. Solid working knowledge as a Systems Admin support in designing, implementing and maintaining Microsoft based enterprise applications and systems including Enterprise Backup and Recovery systems. Working knowledge in supporting applications running in VMware ESX environment and Enterprise Storage technology environments including experience with Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or other automation, configuration, orchestration, or scheduling systems with experience in supporting Microsoft-SQL Servers, preferred.
This job operates in a professional office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently will sit, stand, walk, and bend during working hours. Requires manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. requires normal or corrected vision and hearing corrected to a normal range. Ability to work overtime and on nights and weekends, as needed.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.
Back to top