- San Diego, CA
ICW Group is currently on a high growth path and looking to add a new Senior Counsel to our legal team in San Diego, California. Reporting directly to the Vice President, General Counsel, the Senior Counsel will provide insurance business and regulatory support for underwriting, claims and other business groups within ICW Group.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Serves as insurance business lawyer and provides regulatory support for business groups
- Reviews, analyzes, revises, and drafts contracts, agency and broker agreements, policy forms and endorsements, confidentiality agreements, releases, and miscellaneous documents.
- Oversees administration of agent and broker contracts, notices of appointment of agents, licensing of surplus lines broker and insurer, governmental business licenses, and DOI complaints.
- Provides legal advice on claim and underwriting issues involving property and casualty lines of business, including workers compensation, specialized property products, commercial general liability and assumed and ceded reinsurance issues arising out of all states where ICW and its subsidiaries conduct business.
- Conducts research, provides alerts, advice, and issues opinions on Company legal matters to department and company leaders.
- Monitors legal, legislative, and regulatory developments related to insurance and reinsurance.
Provides expert advice on insurance regulatory and compliance issues to facilitate business operations
- Manages state insurance department market conduct exams, regulatory inquiries, data calls, and other insurance regulatory matters.
- Provides advice on regulatory issues, including interpretation of insurance code provisions, insurance regulations, regulatory bulletins, and other insurance department notices and directives.
- Advises affected departments concerning legislative and regulatory developments at state and federal level. Develops procedures to comply with legislation and regulations.
- Assists with filing of rates, rules, and forms with state insurance departments.
- Reviews marketing materials, web site wording, and press releases in partnership with business units and Enterprise Marketing
- Prepares annual holding company filings.
- Prepares and files applications for state admission and amendment of Certificates of Authority. Investigates and resolves legal issues associated with admission to other states and foreign countries.
Provides Litigation Support for the legal department
- Handles or oversees regulatory hearings and administrative matters.
- Supervises outside counsel on litigation and/or regulatory matters.
- Directs company acceptance of service of process and responses to subpoenas for business records.
- Provides oversight of legal and compliance specialist work in support of litigation.
This role does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and Juris Doctorate (JD) from ABA accredited law school required.
Minimum 5 years of related experience in an In-house Counsel Role; an outside counsel role, or counsel or regulatory role in a state department of insurance, specializing in insurance required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must be properly authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction in which the candidate resides as either a member of the bar or as a registered in-house counsel. CPCU and/or other insurance industry professional designations preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Ability to discuss complex legal, business, and insurance issues with executive audiences, and employees in all departments as well as insurance regulators, insurance producers and outside counsel. Ability to assist in handling sensitive personnel or corporate matters. Must be able to write clear, concise, and grammatically correct contracts, legal documents, correspondence, memoranda, and opinions. Work with diverse personalities in every company department, including management, officers, employees, regulators, attorneys, and vendors. Handle multiple projects at the same time. Ability to negotiate resolutions of problems. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret graphical representations of data. Ability to apply principles of logic to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
Office environment – no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
This position maps to the Individual Contributor level. Additional competencies required: none.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier and other standard office equipment. Occasional travel may be required.
Back to top