Chief Marketing Officer
Ibotta is the leading mobile promotions company in the US and has developed one of the top 5 mobile shopping apps in the US. Ibotta is seeking a world-class Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to lead, manage and oversee all marketing functions for the company, deploy an annual marketing budget in excess of $75M, and help the company establish an unassailable consumer brand.
The role requires developing and executing a well-defined marketing and communications strategy to support ongoing rapid business growth and helping to shape the evolving strategic vision of the company. In this role, the candidate will work with other key members of the Executive Team and cross-functional team members to ensure alignment, execution, and optimization of marketing programs. The candidate will report directly to the CEO and be based in Denver, CO.
- Deploy a $75M+ annual marketing budget in the most quantitatively effective manner possible
- Own Ibotta’s brand positioning, advertising, acquisition and retention strategies, and overall performance marketing to improve the entire user conversion funnel and consumer lifecycle
- Set concrete targets, and develop and implement long-term and annual business/marketing plans to achieve them. Evaluate and adjust plans as frequently as necessary to optimize them
- Attract, develop and retain a high-performing team based on strengths, talents, group dynamics and business needs and provide clear direction, feedback and development to direct reports
- Create and present highly polished, inspiring presentations for brands, retailers, partners, executive management and Board of Directors
- Own marketing ROI analysis, and key performance metric reporting
- Coordinate teams devoted to user growth, activation and retention, PR, and marketing partnerships while managing and building relationships with key agency partners
- Lead a strong marketing analytics team to measure performance and inform decisions for prioritizing and optimizing all marketing campaigns, with a focus on spend efficiency
Professional Background and Experience
- 10+ years of marketing experience, including marketing leadership roles within premium brand name companies
- Distinctive problem solving and thought leadership, including a strong track record of independently and proactively identifying bold and creative new initiatives, building a strong business case for them and leading their implementation
- Comfortable working in fast-paced, high growth environments where multiple projects are ongoing at once, with different timelines and stakeholders (internal and external)
- Success in leading and managing a team of people, with the ability to generate alignment and buy-in for key marketing initiatives while also coaching, removing obstacles to team success, and spending time on the highest leverage, most strategic tasks
- Experience deploying a substantial annual marketing budget across a variety of different channels and programs, all designed to achieve optimal customer/user acquisition and retention
- Strong analytical skills such that data-driven business cases in favor of preferred marketing strategies and tactics can be presented
- Familiarity with best practices and marketing techniques in the loyalty or consumer rewards space
- Experience in marketing a digital or mobile consumer-facing product preferred
- Relentless passion for your work and desire to build something unique in team environment
- MBA degree preferred
Personal Attributes and Values
- Strong leader who can command respect internally and externally and build a high-performing team
- Strong strategic thinking skills, as well as exceptionally strong communication skills
- Polished yet scrappy, entrepreneurial, self-starter who can manage multiple projects simultaneously and drive them to completion effectively
- Ready for the demands of a high energy, fast-paced company environment
- Creative thinker who can come up with innovative and effective ways to ensure all goals are met
- High impact personality; highly energetic and enthusiastic; unpretentious; hands on operations style and approach
What Great Looks Like at Ibotta
First 30 days: Learn and Evaluate
Within the first month, the individual comes up to speed on the company’s current marketing strategy, programs and tactics, and takes stock of Ibotta’s current marketing team and its core competencies.
Second 30 days: Create Vision and Alignment
Based on that information, as well as input from Ibotta’s CEO and other members of its executive team, the individual designs and creates alignment across the marketing team and executive team.
Third 30 days: Execute and Harvest Early Wins
Proactively implement strategies that successfully drive growth in overall awareness and usage of the Ibotta app. Establish credibility with the marketing team, SLT, and Board of Directors based on the success of early initiatives.
Within the first year, the individual will have presided over rapid growth in the active user base and exceeded other benchmarks relating to app usage, such as activation and retention rates. The individual knows how to position colleagues and direct reports for success and career growth. The individual remains elevated in the role, building and relying on a strong bench of marketing colleagues to handle important day-to-day tasks and focusing on strategic planning and leadership development.
Headquartered in Denver, CO, Ibotta (“I bought a...“) is transforming the shopping experience by making it easy for consumers to earn cash back on everyday purchases through a single smartphone app. The company partners with leading brands and retailers to offer rebates on groceries, electronics, clothing, gifts, home and office supplies, restaurant dining, and more. Ibotta is the premier destination for rewarded shopping on mobile and has paid out more than $200 million in cash back to its users. Launched in 2012, Ibotta has nearly 22 million downloads and is one of the five most frequently used shopping apps in the United States.
The company has raised $98 million in capital and is one of the hottest pre-IPO consumer mobile companies in the US. Ibotta’s Board of Directors consists of Jim Clark (founder of Netscape, Silicon Graphics, and Healtheon/WebMD), Larry Sonsini (who took Apple, Google, Facebook, and Twitter public), Tom Jermoluk (ex-CEO of @Home Network and Silicon Graphics), Thomas Lehrman (co-founder of Gerson Lehrman Group), Amit Doshi (Managing Director, Harbor Spring Hedge Fund), and Bryan Leach (Founder/CEO of Ibotta).
- Ibotta provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and genetics.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Meet Some of Ibotta's Employees
Full-stack Web Developer
As a full-stack web developer, Alex uses agile processes to create web apps that meet the needs of Ibotta’s team, external clients, and users.
Back to top