Watson Health - Sr. Oracle DBA - Atlanta, GA
IBM's Industry Consultants are essential to our clients as they work to reinvent themselves for the future. Join our highly visible and highly skilled team of global consultants as we strive to accelerate sales, deliver client engagements, and build IBM's market eminence. If you are a forward-thinker and a curious intellectual, we welcome you to apply for your next exciting career challenge!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Location: Atlanta, GA is the preferred location. However, we will consider someone working remotely - anywhere in the US near an airport.
The Senior Database Engineer is responsible for performing all database administration tasks to assure the availability, performance, integrity, and security of databases for large scale Data Warehouse / Decision Support Systems. Duties include database support, research, process automation, documentation, database upgrades, backup/recovery, DR testing.
Perform all Database Administration duties
- Participate in 24x7 on-call support and planned downtime maintenance activities
- Work closely with Truven data warehouse team (project lead, data modelers, technical team, ETL developers)
- Ensure compliance with all technical specifications
- Ensure that department documentation is up to date and accurate
- Provide front-line database support for customer-facing applications and databases
- Assure the availability and performance of the different database environments
- Backup/recovery strategy and planning
- Participate in disaster recovery exercise planning and execution
- Responsible for problem escalation to Oracle Support and third parties as necessary
- Research and recommend technology selections
- Design and implement new technology and database features
- Plan and manage project tasks, schedules, and resources related to database administration
- Communicate with the customer through formal correspondence
- Mentor less experienced DBA's and perform DBA peer review of DBA changes
- Work in conjunction with other project components to define data, storage and retrieval requirements
- Diagnose and solve complex problems including non-functional problems such as performance issues by identifying workarounds, and driving resolution / "owning" the problem
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- 7 + years working as an Oracle DBA
- 7 + years working with Oracle on Unix/Linux
- Experience managing Oracle RAC
- Experience managing Data Warehouse databases
- Competent in Unix/Linux shell scripting
- Strong query tuning and performance problem-solving skills
- Strong RMAN backup and recovery skills
- Strong SQL DDL, DML, and PLSQL coding skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter with ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing tasks simultaneously and complete work within allocated time-frames
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Previous experience managing healthcare databases or working with healthcare data and regulations
- Recent experience with Oracle 12c
- Experience using data models
- Experience managing large multi-terabyte databases
- Experience installing, upgrading, and managing Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control
- Experience with Data Guard
- Experience with Oracle Exadata
- Experience with IBM UDB/DB2
About Business Unit
IBM Watson Health is pioneering a new partnership between humanity and technology with the goal of transforming global health and revolutionizing many aspects of the medical and pharmaceutical industries, as well as government sectors. We aspire to improve lives and give hope by delivering innovation to address the world's most pressing health challenges through data and artificial intelligence insights.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top