Watson Health Imaging - Principal Scientist
IBM Watson Health is looking for talented individuals destined to usher in the next era of healthcare. We live in a moment of remarkable change and opportunity. The convergence of data and technology is transforming healthcare and life sciences organizations today. New opportunities are being created that never existed before to meet the demands of this transformation.
The Rapid Development Team is a team of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and Cognitive Software Developers within IBM Watson Health Imaging. In collaboration with cross-functional Watson Health teams, IBM Research and external partners, the team develops cognitive solutions that combine imaging and clinical data to enhance clinical decision making. The team is responsible for developing and validating robust and scalable cognitive services (text analytics and image analytics) and applications, including enhancement, validation and evaluation of technologies being transferred from Research and other collaborators. The team also supports clinical evidence generation in collaboration with clinical partners, offering management and Quality/Regulatory/Clinical functions, leading to regulatory submissions (such as 510(k) and/or PMA). The team follows Agile and DevOps methodologies to enable rapid iterations and responsiveness.
We are looking for self-motivated and driven candidates that are passionate about working on cutting edge technologies and that thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
- Design and development of robust algorithms and techniques using text analytics, image analytics, computer vision and machine learning
- Rapid development and validation of cognitive solutions by using and/or enhancing existing methodologies, frameworks and architecture
- Development of criteria for testing algorithm and system's cognitive performance objectively from end-user and market perspective
- Performance evaluation and testing of algorithms and systems on representative clinical data
- Analysis of current programs including performance, diagnosis and troubleshooting of problems
- Evaluation of algorithms and solutions to support technology transfer from collaborators to Watson Health Imaging's Development teams
- Determine data and annotation needs for algorithm development and evaluation
- Research and recommend algorithms, tools and solutions in alignment with Watson Health's strategy
- Integration of cognitive systems and components in Watson Health architecture, including Watson Health cloud
- Collaboration with cross-functional and external teams, as well as clinical partners in support of Watson Health's offering roadmap
- Provide subject matter expertise during all aspects of cognitive system development
- Planning, processing and performing all jobs in an efficient manner with minimum supervision
- Conduct product development in compliance with Watson Health's methodology, practices and Quality Management system.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 8+ years' experience with solving real-world problems using Image and Data Analytics, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing (NLP), and Machine Learning
- Strong knowledge of medical imaging domain, having applied computer vision and machine learning techniques on modalities such as X-ray, CT, MR, Ultrasound, etc.
- Strong experience in Machine Learning, including deep learning and statistical models
- Strong experience in Computer Vision and image analysis methods such as image segmentation, registration, classification and object detection
- Experience with clinical evidence generation in collaboration with clinical partners and Quality/Regulatory/Clinical functions, leading to regulatory submissions (such as 510(k) and/or PMA)
- Experience with programming languages (Java/J2EE, C++, Python) and software systems architecture, web services, web applications, and current software development tools, technologies and frameworks
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Interest or experience with healthcare information protocols and common interoperability standards, such as IHE, HL7, FHIR, DICOM, XDS and IHE, and healthcare systems such as PACS, EMR, EHR, HIS and RIS
- Software engineering skills in developing or modifying large-scale software systems where scalability, availability, performance and security are important
- Strong publication record in peer-reviewed conferences and journals
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top