Watson Health - Data Modeler
Designs relational databases and develops strategies for data warehouse implementations following industry best practices (e.g., Inmon, Kimball). Evaluates new data sources to assess quality and determine integration approach. Conducts data risk assessments, identify and document data mappings/lifecycle, and helps build an enterprise data governance model, policies and programs.
- Conducts data requirements assessment and design sessions with customers.
- Works with analysts to establish clearly defined business requirements.
- Works with data suppliers to establish input and interface specifications.
- Performs data analysis for source system data.
- Creates conceptual, logical and physical models for healthcare data warehouse implementations.
- Designs and manages data models in data modeling product.
- Develops third normal form and dimensional models that adhere to data warehouse best practices.
- Designs time-variant models that support both point-in-time (historical) and current state analysis.
- Generates DDL from model for RDBMS (Oracle, Teradata).
- Provides professional documentation describing data architecture.
- Represent the EDW team and collaborate with the customer and other agencies to conduct data risk assessments, document data mappings/lifecycle, and help build a data governance model, policies and programs.
- Represent the EDW team and collaborate with ongoing customer enterprise wide MDM and metadata projects
- Understands customer's Data Management program and environment and identifies the next generation of processes and products to refine and extend the lifecycle of the program.
- Develops the approach for the implementation of Data Management lifecycle components (examples include master data management, conformance with reference architecture, metadata strategy, data warehousing strategy, data classification programs, data quality,)
- Collaborates across the organization to understand the value of these components and obtains alignment in the approach and benefits
- Leads project teams, or acts in a consulting capacity, in the implementation of the data management lifecycle components
- Provides direction and reviews solutions with regard to data architecture, working with software development teams and enterprise and application architects to ensure consistency and coherence with the enterprise architecture.
- Based on knowledge of data centric technology trends in the marketplaces, determines their applicability to the customer; evaluates and recommends data related technology products based on Truven's overall directional goals.
- Demonstrates an ability to quickly identify the most likely problem area in a complex, integrated data environment
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
REQUIRED Skills and Experience
- Must work on site in Frankfort, KY 5 days a week
- 8+ yrs experience as a data architect for multi-terabyte data warehouse projects
- 8+ yrs experience with ERwin Enterprise Data Modeler Suite OR equivalent
- 8+ yrs experience in logical data modeling - relational and dimensional
- 5+ yrs experience in data governance analysis
- Understanding of industry best practices in data warehousing design and development
- Ability to express complex technical information in a user-friendly language and style; present information effectively in one-on-one, and small group settings, including executive management
- Ability to communicate clearly in writing to document data requirements and translate into technical solutions
- Understands the importance of maintaining the physical and technical security and privacy of HIPAA Protected Health Information (PHI)
- Ability to lead/mentor less experienced data modeler(s)
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
PREFERRED Skills and Experience
- Healthcare related data modeling experience.
- Oracle DBMS experience.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top