Watson Health - Data Management Consultant
Truven Health Analytics®, part of the IBM Watson Health™ business, provides market-leading performance improvement solutions built on data integrity, advanced analytics and domain expertise. For more than 40 years, our insights and solutions have been providing hospitals and clinicians, employers and health plans, state and federal government agencies, life sciences companies and policymakers, the facts they need to make confident decisions that directly affect the health and well-being of people and organizations in the US and around the world. Watson Health aspires to improve lives and give hope by delivering innovation to address the world's most pressing health challenges through data and cognitive insights.
The Data Management Consultant will work with clients and account team on projects involving database design and construction, data quality assessment and healthcare analysis.
- Develop familiarity with client-supplied data and with internally developed tools used to assess data quality and build requisite databases.
- Investigate and resolve data quality issues and escalate situations according to department processes.
- Design, maintain, execute and document system tests and requirement validation tests; support user acceptance testing as needed.
- Assist clients with understanding of data specifications and resolution of data quality issues.
- Consistently deliver usable databases on time and within budget while conforming to client expectations for content and quality.
- Learn and perform database update process activities.
- For each update, execute all Data Management test cases, document results, obtain requisite sign-off, and work on resolving any failed test cases prior to proceeding with the update.
- Identify and resolve data quality issues during testing.
- Gain understanding of tools commercial and proprietary tools, such as TREX, DataStage, DataProbe, Advantage Suite, DataProfiler, Data Model Manager and other applications.
- Identify, investigate and resolve data quality issues..
- Collaborate with account team(s) to understand client's healthcare information needs and develop solutions.
- Educate clients and account teams on database structure, data quality, documentation, and software applications.
- Identify and escalate out-of-scope activities.
- Support work outside of client assignments, such as mentoring, process improvements, and organizational initiatives.
- Manage own projects for on-time delivery.
- Assist with estimating level of effort for proposed projects.
- Lead data install meetings.
- Lead internal and external meetings with clients.
- Identify root cause of data quality issues and complete complex data investigations.
- Provide input to customers and account team(s) based on technical experience and industry knowledge.
- Demonstrates strong listening, comprehension, and presentation skills.
- Takes responsibility for all client correspondence, technical reports, and specifications.
- Communicates with cross-functional teams, more experienced internal staff, and external clients.
- Uses the appropriate tone for communicating to different levels and recipients.
- Demonstrates basic ability to coach and mentor others.
- Engages in group activities to promote a cohesive team environment.
- Identifies and resolves broad range of problems using available tools.
- Provides creative solutions to address business challenges.
- Works with cross-functional teams to resolve cross-functional problems.
- Demonstrates increasing independence and seeks guidance when appropriate.
- Completes projects accurately and on-time.
- Responds to and resolves complex customer/end-user problems and requests.
- May have direct or indirect responsibility for less experienced data managers.
- Demonstrates operational awareness, such as when and how to escalate items, and understands the department's role within the larger business unit.
- Partner with Team Lead to drive career development.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 2 years of related experience working on projects involving database design and construction (i.e. SQL, XL), data quality assessment and healthcare analysis.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- 4 years of related experience working on projects involving database design and construction (i.e. SQL, XL), data quality assessment and healthcare analysis.
- Bachelors (Computer Science, MIS or related field) or equivalent experience preferred.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top