Systems Administrator - AIX
General job role information:
This role is responsible for controlling or monitoring complex computer systems, networks, applications and/or distributed systems in a multi vendor environment. Also responsible for ensuring proper operations of systems and subsystems and supporting Helpdesk or higher level teams to solve arising issues.
General job role responsibilities:
- Manages and controls the contracted systems and subsystems
- Proactively checks and monitors the contracted systems and subsystems
- Ensures systems and subsystems availability according to service level agreements
- Uses the incident and problem management tools, processes and services to solve incidents and problems
- Uses the change management tools, processes and services to complete the scheduled changes
- Initiates and schedules new changes based on change management processes and procedures
- Manages all compliance related workload in accordance with the related processes and procedures
- Restarts failing system and subsystem components after outages
- Provides assistance to Help Desk, if needed
- Obtains assistance from more experienced colleagues from the team, if needed
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned by his/her superior.
Job role specific information:
The Systems Administrator Unix position holder is responsible for the following:
Management and support of the operating system tasks, like:
• System administration of AIX
• Provide 2nd and 3rd level support of AIX for supported services
• Resolve problems and issues occurred on the AIX servers within the times specified in the SLA
• Work through problems and issues to obtain root cause analysis
• Support planning and install of new operating system releases to maintain software currency.
• Support planning and applying cumulative PTF packages.
• Plan and install upgrades/new software, including some local customization.
• Support planning and installation of system software patches to fix identified problems.
• Manage system & software configurations (via change control)
• Manage clusters
• Manage Filesystems •
• Fine-tune systems/software to improve performance
• Plan and upgrade system firmwares
• User Management (add, edit, modify, delete)
• Ensure that backups (mksysb and filesystem) of services are taking place as required - resolve any errors
Due to the nature of the services supported this role may need to carry out tasks out of the normal office times, which are ensured by shift mode work and/or stand by callout support and/or overtimes.
• YOUR MONEY
Attractive compensation and benefits
Recommend-a-Friend - get a bonus in the employee referral program
Contribution to pension plan
Special IBM discounts
• YOUR LIFE & HEALTH
Private Health insurance (Medicover)
Travel /Commuting support
Become part of our diverse and multinational community and collaborate within global and local teams
• YOUR DEVELOPMENT
Long term career development and possibility of internal rotation
Training programs - classroom based training and e-learning courses
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
2+ years experience within AIX support
1+ years experience within multinational company
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
3+ years experience within AIX
2+ years experience at multinational company
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top