Software Test Specialist (QA Engineer)
As a Software QA Engineer, you have the opportunity to accelerate the delivery and improve the quality of the IBM Cloud and other enterprise Object Storage deployments. You will be part of a test team that is working on problems in a number of areas, including distributed systems, Exabyte-scale storage, Linux OS distribution and network protocols.
IBM's breadth of technology offers an amazing range of opportunities for you to make a big impact on the quality of storage used in the IBM Cloud and in some of the largest storage installations in the world.
The successful candidate will be a highly analytical, collaborative engineer who is capable of exercising judgment in selecting the appropriate test scenarios and test methodologies, interpreting and report system behavior against customer expectations and communicating anomalous observations to the development teams.
The Position: The Details
• Participate on cross functional development teams to develop and test newly designed object data storage features, identify potential system impacting risks, requirement gaps and test scenarios.
• Analyze, decompose system requirements and use cases for IBM Cloud and design the correct test strategy to test all data storage integration aspects of the system.
• Identify, develop and implement automated functional and system level tests in Python using current automation test design practices and techniques, also participate in peer code reviews.
• Decompose development user stories for testability, create and manage test related tasks for newly introduced features and document test strategies and plans.
• Participate and perform escaped defect analysis on defects found downstream of feature development to identify test area deficiencies and test process improvements.
• Communicate to team members on changes of functional system feature interactions and their system performance impacts.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Ability and tenacity to solve increasingly complex technical issues through analysis and a variety of problem-solving techniques.
• Strong understanding of SQA methodologies and test development for complex systems.
• Working knowledge of Python or other scripting languages with demonstrable experience in applying these skills to develop automated functional/system integration tests.
• Working knowledge of system APIs and their uses.
• Ability to develop and execute functional/system level tests.
• Working knowledge of Linux environments.
• Experience working in an Agile-Scrum development environment.
• BS in CS, CE or similar field, plus relevant work experience.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
• Working knowledge of storage industry client tools (e.g. boto3, s3cmd, CosBench, Jmeter) to perform S3 and NAS operations
• Working knowledge in the design and continued development of automation frameworks
• Working knowledge of AWS S3 protocol and its usage in object storage systems.
• Knowledge of distributed computing principles, enterprise storage configurations and their usages.
• Working knowledge of networking protocols.
• MS in CS, CE or similar field and 5+ years of relevant work experience.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top