SoftLayer Revenue and Cash Application Lead Accountant
• Understand all aspects and processes of services-based sales order entry, customer billing, customer credits, and cash collection to ensure the proper revenue recognition and accounting for all transactions within the SoftLayer and IBM ledgers.
• Specific focus on high-volume credit card and Paypal transaction process ownership for both accounting and cash applications including: reconciliations between the SoftLayer billing system, the payment gateway provider, Merchant acquirer's, and the depository bank account
• Accounting ownership for all US and international credit card and Paypal transactions including: payment settlement timing, chargebacks, merchant bank rejections, fees, intercompany transactions and reconciliation of invoicing-to-cash for all points within the process
• Accounting and reconciliation of revenue and cash applications for customer credits, write-offs, and concessions including tax-related fees, withholding tax and credits for customers in over 19 international jurisdictions
• Review and approve O2C (order to cash cycle) and related balance sheet account reconciliations.
• Review and approve Bad Debt and Sales Return and Allowance analysis.
• Review and approve various monthly & quarterly revenue journal entries and account analytics to ensure that proper revenue recognition is achieved, including a detailed walkforward of deferred revenue and forecast to actual variance explanations.
• Assign and oversee the posting of worldwide revenue accounting and subscription-based deferral amounts into the IBM Ledger including a systematic review process to ensure accuracy in over 100,000 rows of data per upload.
• Assist in the preparation of periodic and ad hoc financial reports using tools such as SQL queries and Excel powerpivots to effectively summarize over one million transactions a month.
• Work with IBM accounting headquarters and the external auditors to ensure SoftLayer is compliant with the latest revenue rules and best practices related to high-volume e-commerce billings, collections, and credits
• Maintain effective internal controls related to customer cash applications and revenue recognition activities.
• Timely completion of annual audit and quarterly business control reviews without adjustments, significant deficiencies or material weaknesses in controls.
• Oversee integration of additional revenue accounting and cash applications processes with IBM systems and updates to current 2-day revenue close.
The position has direct interaction with various levels of upper and middle management including exposure to SoftLayer Financial Planning, Treasury, Tax, Accounts Receivable and the IBM Corporate ledger and accounting teams.
The mission of this role will be to bring operational excellence to financial revenue recognition and intercompany accounting, reporting and analytics. This role will be a key player in our strong team environment. The position has direct interaction with various levels of upper and middle management including exposure to international management. Complete, accurate and timely financials is one of the cornerstones of the team and this role is integral to ensuring this is accomplished.
A successful candidate will posses the following:
• Ability to efficiently handle multiple and competing tasks simultaneously and work closely with various departments and team members
• Strong attention to detail
• Must be a motivated, self-starter with a proactive personality who is able to work independently or with a team
• Excellent analytical, written/oral communication and interpersonal skills.
• Unquestionable integrity
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Bachelor's degree required; Accounting or Information Systems degree preferred.
• 5 years of experience in general ledger accounting required
• Advanced Excel skills (including, but not limited to: indexing, macros, advanced pivot tables, powerpivot capabilities, lookups, connecting to external data sources, advanced formula writing and auditing)
• Proficiency with Microsoft Access or other database tools including Oracle Database and SQL queries.
• Previous experience with revenue accounting for e-commerce or credit card transactions
• Knowledge and experience in US GAAP including chart of accounts, journal entries, balance sheets, and reconciliations
• Experience working with internal and external auditors
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
• Sarbanes-Oxley related flow-charting and controls documentation experience.
• International accounting experience preferred.
• Experience with subscription-based billing and related deferred revenue accounting literature, including recent changes
• Experience with software revenue recognition (Vendor-specific Objective Evidence, Post-contract Customer Support) is NOT required or applicable.
• Experience reviewing contracts to extract accounting terms is preferred.
• Experience with large general ledger and reporting systems (EPICOR, Oracle or Hyperion a plus).
• Current knowledge of United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, multi-entity consolidations and reporting.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top