Services Leader and Principal Strategist
In an era of unpredictable disruption, companies need to do more than transform. They must fearlessly re-imagine their business - to the core - designing and building the platforms and services necessary for growth. Clients are protecting and preparing for what's next with IBM Services.
IBM is looking to hire a Services Leader and Principal Strategist in our New York City office. This person will join our team of Analyst Relations (AR) professionals, as we build relationships with key market influencers who write or speak about IBM to progress revenue growth, and further lead the market in innovative consulting and IT Services.
AR is at the nexus of IBM sales and strategy, it plays a critical, cross-functional strategy role by working with experts at many different levels of the organization across Offering (Product) Management, Engineering, Communications, Sales and Marketing teams while leveraging important technology analysts.
AR is considered a strategic function at IBM, as it drives revenue and influences strategy.
• Ability to not just manage, but lead, a global team of up to ten people.
• Create metrics and an environment of accountability.
• Develop, manage and execute a targeted influencer/analyst plan for IBM Services; educate the most influential technical analysts who shape existing or prospective IBM customer buying. Embed within the business unit to influence strategy and sales, and improve analyst perceptions and relationships year-over-year.
• Develop a list of key global influencers to target over the course of 12 months with clear metrics on success.
• Influence analyst research on IBM, its competitors, and the markets that IBM competes in; shape the perception of IBM and the value it brings to its customers; improve analyst rating in influential reports and evaluations.
• Monitor the competitive landscape and strategic developments in the area of focus; share relevant analyst research and implications with senior management to shape BU strategy and offerings.
• Connect key IBM executives with influential technology analysts for advisory sessions to help define and influence offering strategy.
• Collaborate with colleagues in marketing, sales, offering (product) management, communications, legal and BU leadership to ensure that IBM is being placed in the best light with the analyst community.
• Manage and procure paid strategic research projects on behalf of IBM to ensure that key analyst firms and independent analysts are actively engaged with IBM offerings.
• Develop a keen understanding of how to build credible and impactful relationships with key influencers, leading technical analysts, academia, and thought leaders.
• Desire to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple constituents across globe.
• Grow a deep technical interest in digital transformation ecosystem in order to go toe to toe with analysts and influencers on the subject.
• Must be entrepreneurial, and have a keen interest creating a business.
• Co-Create and Co-execute plans for IBM Services and third-party AR external events that complement and validate IBM's corporate messaging and strategy by incorporating actual customer use cases.
• Have experience in presenting/orating in large and small venues to senior management with polish and impact.
• Manage, prepare, and request annual and quarterly budget for analyst engagements.
This role is located at IBM office in Coopers Square, Manhattan, New York City Candidate must be willing to travel up to 50% to meet in person with Business Unit executives and key global analysts and influencers. Applicants must have the ability to work in the US without current/future need for IBM sponsorship.
Required personal attributes include:
Analytical, technically minded, problem solver, entrepreneurial, persistent, collaborative, open and curious. Passionate about mentoring and leading others. Likes to laugh. Working in a fast paced environment makes you happy.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Experience working in the tech industry, either in a systems, services, or software organization/function.
• Understanding of one or more of the core areas IBM competes in Cloud, AI, ML, Data, Analytics, Security, Emerging Technologies such as Quantum.
• Experience working in the IT Services sector.
• Past management experience in leading team of five or more.
• 10+ years of diverse work experience in more than one functional area such as: Business Development, Consulting, Technical Sales, Product Management, Communications or Strategy.
• Executive presence to counsel to senior management regarding the market, competitive landscape and analyst outlook.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Experience in public speaking and conveying key messages to large and small venues.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
• Undergraduate Degree in Science (Engineering, Comp Sci, Applied Math, Physics) coupled with a business or law degrees. Ability to think logically.
• Advanced Degree in the Engineering/Sciences, Math, Computer Science and/or MBA Strategy.
• Experience as a team leader with demonstrated success.
• Past experience cultivating important relationships with leading technology entities (e.g. analysts, influencers, clients, standards bodies, developers, other communities)
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top