Senior UX Designer
We are creators. We don't just make great products. We painstakingly craft experiences that delight our users and shape the future.
In 1956 IBM founder Thomas J Watson declared that "Good Design is Good Business" and throughout the years, IBM worked with designers such as Eero Saarinen, Paul Rand and Charles and Ray Eames to design offices, products and branding.
Today, more than 1500 passionate IBMers apply design and Design Thinking to drive business outcomes. We work at the intersection of strategy, creativity, and technology to help our clients digitally reinvent their businesses.
We are looking for a Senior UX Designer to join our IBM iX team in SouthAfrica that will serve as the senior designer and consultant for client projects.
What you will do
- Join IBM teams and clients in creating delightful user experiences
- Assess design needs for projects and work with technology and sales leads to scope and craft design portions of proposals.
- Do the hands-on design work but also help decide on the best way to approach UX design for projects.
- Apply and lead Design Thinking together with existing and prospective clients to shape innovative and viable products
- Participate in the overall improvement of the design community at IBM.
About IBM iX
We are renegades and realists that work at the intersection of progressive strategy, creative vision and transformational technology to tackle the biggest business challenge: tomorrow.
We deliver progressive ideas through the use of IBM Design Thinking - not just for design but for the solving of business problems. We put emerging technology to work. We build mastery in all the emerging technologies of today in a landscape that is constantly changing. Our difference goes beyond our knowledge of technology, it lies in the application of that technology to solve business problems.
We bring innovative ideas and emerging technology to life for our clients through multi-disciplinary teams. When our clients work with us, they work with practitioners that come from different backgrounds, with different skillsets and capabilities.
We are your global business design partner.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 3 years of relevant work experience
- Copy of portfolio is required along with the application (PDF or link)
- Experience working with strategists, visual designers, researchers, architects, development teams to create engaging digital experiences
- T-shaped designer that specializes in UX design but is also not afraid of doing research, visual design, prototyping, copywriting
- Mastered a set of design & prototyping tools and able to quickly adopt to a different set of tools (Sketch & InVision etc.)
- Understand the technical possibilities and limitations of web technologies, mobile platforms and emerging technologies (augmented reality and cognitive computing). Coding skills not required for project work, tinkering is encouraged
- Excellent communications skills - oral presentations and written documentation
- Comfortable creating and presenting client facing work. Able to balance between user goals and business goals and get all stakeholders on board with the project
- Fluent English
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Bachelor or Master degree in Experience Design, Interaction Design, Visual Design, Product Design, HCI, Industrial Design or a similar programme
Affirmative Action and/or EE candidates will be given first preference as per our employment equity strategies.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top