Senior Data Visualization Engineer
We are in a data science renaissance. Companies that embrace data science will lead and those who do not will fall behind.
To help IBM's clients lead, we are building an elite team of data science practitioners to help clients learn how to succeed with data science. The team includes data engineers, machine learning and deep learning experts, operations research / optimization experts and data visualization specialists.
The team engages directly in solving real-world data science problems in a wide array of industries around the globe with IBM clients. The elite team of data scientists works with other IBMers and client data science teams to solve problems in banking, insurance, health care, manufacturing, oil & gas and automotive industries, to name a few.
We are looking for a Data Visualization Specialist for this team. As a member of the team you will have a T-shaped skill set, having a broad knowledge base in Data Science, Industry Solutions, and Design in general, but also in-depth expertise in Data Visualization.
Your expertise might be more in design, or more in front-end web development, or more in developing interactive visualizations, or maybe you have a relevant background we haven't thought of. Even if you don't meet every qualification listed, please don't hesitate to apply if this job seems interesting to you.
- Customer Engagement:
- Enable communication among Data Science teams through visual narratives and storytelling.
- Understand the output from Machine Learning and Optimization solutions, interpret them for business and non-technical users.
- Guide and mentor clients to become self-sufficient data visualization practitioners.
- Create mockups and wireframe prototypes as part of agile iteration sprints.
- Create infographics and other collateral to document team process, wins, and lessons learned.
- Advocate for design thinking and principles within the team.
- Participate in the larger IBM Design community, contribute to design systems & standards, seek design critique from other groups.
- Build and deploy proof of concept front-end web applications to consume ML/DO output.
- Build interactive dashboards and similar tools, contribute to component libraries for such tools.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise :
If you don't meet all of these, please still consider applying, you may have other skills that would balance things out.
- Experience building data visualizations coded with graphical libraries such as D3.js or similar.
- Experience creating explanatory visualizations for non-experts.
- Consuming data via APIs, including data parsing / scraping / wrangling.
- Using graphic design tools such as Illustrator, In Design, Sketch, or similar.
- Provide a portfolio of work, illustrating experience in data visualization.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Experience developing rich interactive front-end web applications.
- Experience Integrating data output in the context of a business problem.
- Experience with SVGs, Mapbox, GIS, Three.js
- Experience creating published infographics.
- Experience with with Big Data
- Spark, PySpark, R, SparkR
- Structured (tabular and hierarchical) datasets.
- Experience using statistics / data analysis / data science applied to a business problem.
- Experience using IBM Analytics products.
- Training in design thinking.
- Advanced degree in Graphic design, Art, Journalism, Data visualization or related field.
While working across all these industries, you will also get to travel the World as these engagements will require that the team spend several weeks at client sites working on data science problems with a diverse team.
As a member of the team you will have a T-shaped skill set, having a broad knowledge base in Data Science and Industry Solutions in general, but also in-depth expertise in data visualization and data journalism.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Please refer to job description.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Please refer to job description.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top