Senior Data Scientist - IBM Belgium
The IBM Digital Practice is the recognized leader for delivering digital solutions to clients across all industries and verticals. The emerging field of Cognitive & Analytics (C&A) is one of our key focus areas, where we combine the latest technologies with the technical depth of IBM to design and implement innovative solutions providing differentiated and actionable data insights to our client's business problems.
We are now expanding our C&A team and are looking for data scientists that have demonstrated expertise in this area and have a strong track record of success. The team is based in Brussels but also has a European focus.
If you are deeply engaged in Data Science and looking to solve a variety of client business problems across industries, and, you are comfortable with working in an evolving, agile environment, then please apply!
We are looking for experts/Senior Data Scientists Cognitive Computing to join our team and help us solve our clients greatest business challenges. The Senior Data Scientists will be focusing mostly on different Cognitive Solutions like Watson Knowledge Studio, Watson Explorer and wide range of Data & Analytics and Watson services in the IBM Cloud, but we also open source frameworks frequently.
Typical responsibilities include;
Converting a business problem into an analytics approach including elements like natural language processing framework and machine learning approach
Leading other Data scientists and consultants in projects, hands-on and tactically
Identifying approaches to improve accuracy and effectiveness of analytics models.
Academic education (masters or PhD) in a field like Computational Linguistics, Information Retrieval, Neuroscience, Statistics, Operations Research or Computer Science
2 or more years working or research experience
Expertise in techniques involving Natural Language Processing (NLP), Content Analytics or Text Analytics
Strong skills in or more tools of the trade such as Python, NLTK, Hadoop eco system, Deep Learning frameworks
Strong skills in one or more frameworks and programming languages such as UIMA, Java, Java script, C(++), Python, APIs, etc.
Familiar with key internal and external data sources and how they are gathered and put to use.
We are particularly interested if you have proven experience delivering high-quality analytics within a commercial environment. Especially in an external or internal consulting or technical sales role.
Also you are not afraid to improvise and to learn new skills through doing. Finally, you have strong business acumen and can translate quantitative insights and models for a non-technical audience.
Our Senior Data Scientists should also enjoy transferring knowledge and guiding talented young analysts on the job, as part of helping to scale up our ambitious, high-performing data science consulting team.
French, Dutch and English languages are required for this position.
You are eligible to work in Europe with no need for a work permit.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Master's Degree or Ph.D. in a quantitative field like Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research and similar
- Minimum 2 years hands-on experience in data processing and machine learning
- English: Fluent
- Fluent in Dutch with a good knowledge of French, or fluent in French with a very good knowledge of Dutch.
- You are eligible to work in Europe with no need for a work permit.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Master's Degree or PhD in a quantitative field like Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research and similar
- Hands-on analytic skills, yet also a strategic thinker who can see the 'big picture'
- Hands-on expertise in the use of data wrangling and statistical / machine learning packages (e.g. R, Python, SPARK, Tensorflow, SAS, Matlab, SQL)
- Hands-on skills in distributed processing tools and languages (e.g. SPARK, HDFS, Hive, Pig, Flume, HBASE)
- Experience in:
- Applying and optimizing Deep Learning approaches
- Mathematical optimization software package (i.e. CPLEX)
- Programming/scripting like Java script, incl D3.js
- Solving clients' analytics problems and effectively communicating results and methodologies
- Leading teams
- Fluent in English + Dutch + French
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top