Runtime Technologies Customer Service Engineer
Almost 5,000 IBM software products run on language runtimes created and supported by IBM's Runtime Technologies organization!
When a client reports an issue with one of these products in the field, the issue often ends up with the IBM Runtime Technologies L3 Service squad.
It is our team's mission to determine the root cause of such failures and deliver effective fixes in a timely manner.
- Crave client contact
- Love native-level debugging
- Are curious about how language runtimes work
- Are interested in working with multiple hardware and software platforms
- Enjoy a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment and workload
- Are passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience
- Are eager to collaborate with clients and colleagues across multiple geographies and business units
- Are hungry for the challenge of diagnosing failures in very large enterprise software systems
In this role you will, as a member of our team, diagnose and resolve issues reported against our language runtimes by both internal and external clients, with a focus on issues with the Virtual Machine (VM) and Garbage Collector (GC) components of the Java runtime. You will work closely with client-side support engineers to further understand the problem and collect failure data, and with the VM / GC development team for deep diagnosis and fix development and delivery. You will also work with other members of the Runtimes L3 team whose expertise is with other components of the Java runtime.
You will work with a wide variety of software failure types, including crashes, performance issues, and exception / error conditions. You'll work across an assortment of supported platforms, including the Linux, Windows, AIX, and z/OS operating systems, and on Intel, PPC, ARM, and S390 processor architectures.
Most of your debugging and diagnosis will be done post-mortem, i.e. through analysis of data collected at the time of the failure. You will often work with the client and other IBM service engineers to collect additional data, occasionally providing diagnostic builds to enable additional failure data collection.
This position includes rotating light after-hours call-out duty and may require occasional work outside of normal office hours in exceptional circumstances.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Proven debugging and problem diagnosis skills
- At least one (1) year working with Linux
- Working knowledge of Windows
- Experience with at least one native debugger
- Working knowledge of C/C++
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Working knowledge of AIX
- Working knowledge of z/OS
- Working knowledge of Java
- Shell scripting experience
- Experience collaborating across multiple geographies and time zones
- Experience working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and other trouble-ticketing tools, ideally Salesforce
- Six (6) months or more in a technical support, customer service, or other client-facing role
- History of successful collaboration across organizational boundaries
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top