Research Staff Member - Natural Language Processing
Multilingual Natural Language Processing has a long history at IBM Research, even before it was multilingual - machine translation, maximum entropy language models, the BLEU measure were imagined here. World-champion backgammon programs, the Deep Blue chess program, and the Jeopardy Challenge were all developed at IBM Research. Our Lab is a place where scientists, data analysts, and students collaborate to drive the frontiers of AI. If you're interested in working with some of the world's most talented researchers to advance AI, natural language understanding and knowledge representation, we may have an opportunity for you!
We are looking for highly motivated and talented individuals from computer science and related disciplines to take part in IBM's artificial intelligence effort and help shape the face of the next generation of computing machines. Suitable candidates will have strong analytical abilities and very strong programming skills (Python, C/C++, etc). Background in machine learning, mathematics, machine translation, or natural language processing strongly preferred.
At IBM Research, we diligently craft a work environment that inspires brilliant and thoughtful work. We have an ambitious natural language processing research agenda, and we are hiring researchers to join our projects in the following areas:
- Machine Comprehension and Question Answering
- Machine Translation
- Information Extraction
- Information Retrieval
- Data Modeling and Representation (word/sentence/document concept embeddings, dependency and constituent parsing, etc)
- Deep Learning models for Natural Language Processing, including sequence classification
- Reinforcement Learning for Natural Language Processing
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Expertise and experience in programming in one or more of these languages: Python, C/C++, Perl, Java.
- Advanced skill level in solving analytical problems using rigorous and quantitative approaches.
- Advance d skill level in creating state-of-the-art Natural Language Processing methods
- Experience communicating your research in technical communities, such as publications in ACL, NAACL, EMNLP, COLING, NIPS, ICML, ICLR, IJCAI, AAAI, KDD, or similar
- At least 2 years of experience in Natural Language Processing
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- PhD in Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or related technical fields
- Advanced skill level with standard machine learning techniques and frameworks, such as Pytorch, Tensorflow, Theano, Caffe, Torch
- Experience analyzing large scale data from a variety of sources
- Design, validation, and characterization
- Experience with web technologies, cloud computing, and service-oriented architectures.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top