Research Software Engineer
IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and much more. Join a team that is dedicated to applying science to some of today's most complex challenges, whether it's discovering a new way for doctors to help patients, teaming with environmentalists to clean up our waterways or enabling retailers to personalize customer service.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Research is the innovation engine of IBM. Nearly every game-changing breakthrough in the information technology industry has its roots in an IBM Research lab. It has been a home for creative scientific minds since 1945, when Thomas J. Watson Sr. established the first corporate pure science research lab in the U.S. We are primed to define the future of technology for many years to come specifically around the world of Artificial Intelligence. We believe AI will transform the world in dramatic ways in the coming years - and our Research AI group is advancing the field through our portfolio of research and through collaboration with like-minded institutions including MIT (MIT-IBM Watson Lab) to push the boundaries of AI faster - for the benefit of industry and society. If you're interested in working with some of the world's most talented researchers to advance AI, we may have an opportunity for you!
We're looking for a Research Software Engineer to join our AI Interaction team in Cambridge located at Kendall Square - one of the hottest technology hubs in the world. You are passionate about coding and building applications and systems that solve real-world problems. Our ambitious AI research agenda is both broad and deep, with leading edge projects in many areas such as conversational systems, process automation, data visualization, trusted or automated AI. You will interact with the brightest minds in AI and will help transform AI research ideas into scalable, robust systems. We want to bring out the best in you and expect you to do the same to us. Your proactive approach to creative problem solving will be essential to the success of our team and the company.
Your responsibilities include:
- Design, build and deploy full-stack web applications and intelligent systems (your focus can be also more on frontend technologies with backend experience or vice-versa)
- Apply software engineering skills, design skills, and creative thinking to build cutting edge AI systems
- Identify and refine project requirements, solutions to potentially abstract AI challenges, and well-defined performance metrics
- Design and develop software as scalable architectures, components, API's and systems
- Translate project requirements into executable roadmaps for creating and measuring technical capability
- Work in high intensity, joint teams of software engineers and research scientists
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience in building full-stack web applications
- Basic understanding of design patterns
- Basic understanding of software engineering
- Ability to transfer project requirements into robust software components and architectures
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience in creating user applications with JQuery, React, or Angular
- Experience in using Flask or Node.js
- Experience in backend storage technologies such as SQL and Non-SQL databases (Postgres, MongoDB etc.)
- Experience in web application development frameworks
- Experience with standard machine learning techniques and frameworks
- Experience analyzing large scale data from a variety of sources
- Design, validation, and characterization of algorithms and/or systems
- Experience with machine learning tools and frameworks including but not limited to: TensorFlow, PyTorch, Torch, Caffe, etc.
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world's most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top