Are you passionate about Africa and using cutting edge technology to solve some of the grand challenges that the continent is facing? If so, and if you are driven, self-motivated and have outstanding problem solving, communication, leadership and inter-personal skills, then you could have a successful career as a research scientist with us. Advances in machine intelligence, digitisation and connectivity allow us to create digitally enhanced environments and to exploit connections between people, devices, built and natural environments, content and services, using adaptive data-driven intelligent systems to solve seemingly intractable problems. We are looking for research scientists to play a key role in developing and applying cutting edge artificial intelligence algorithms to solve real-life challenges across several domains and in so doing make a meaningful difference in the world around us. About IBM Research | Africa With locations in Nairobi, Kenya and Johannesburg, South Africa, IBM Research | Africa is IBM's 12th global laboratory. The locations are the first on the continent for conducting applied and far-reaching exploratory research into Africa's grand challenges and are committed to delivering commercially-viable innovations that impact people's lives. At the forefront of scientific discovery, IBM Research in Africa finds solutions to the region's most pressing issues in areas such as healthcare, the green economy, financial services, public sector, astronomy and industry 4.0. Challenges are addressed creatively and intelligently thanks to the organization's expertise in artificial intelligence, Internet of things, Blockchain, cloud computing, data science, computer vision, statistics and more. For more information visit http://research.ibm.com/labs/africa/
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least a Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics or related fields
- A solid understanding of the principles of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence and the ability to apply them in various fields
- Ability to perform scientific research based on the scientific method
- Ability to test hypotheses from raw data sets, draw meaningful conclusions, and effectively communicate results verbally, in writing, and through effective visualization.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Strong publication record in major international journals and conference proceedings
- At least 2 years' experience with machine learning, deep learning, signal and image processing
- Experience with cloud native application platforms, containers and container management
- Experience with Unix-like environments, shell scripting, version control, and service oriented architectures
- Experience with Big Data technology e.g. Hadoop, NoSQL, Spark, Storm, Cassandra etc.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top