Research Manager, AI Platforms
IBM Research is the innovation engine of IBM. Nearly every game-changing breakthrough in the information technology industry has its roots in an IBM Research lab. It has been a home for creative scientific minds since 1945, when Thomas J. Watson Sr. established the first corporate pure science research lab in the U.S. We are primed to define the future of technology for many years to come specifically around the world of Artificial Intelligence. We believe AI will transform the world in dramatic ways in the coming years - and our Research AI group is advancing the field through our portfolio of research focused on three areas: AI Science, AI Engineering, and AI Tech. We're also working to accelerate AI research through collaboration with like-minded institutions including MIT (MIT-IBM Watson Lab - http://mitibmwatsonailab.mit.edu) and individuals to push the boundaries of AI faster - for the benefit of industry and society.
The mission of the IBM AI Research/Engineering group is to build AI platforms and technologies that make it easy to build end-to-end AI systems at speed and scale. These systems are designed to craft new partnerships between people and machines to augment and scale human expertise in every industry, from healthcare to financial services to education.
We are searching for a hands-on Research Manager who is a leader in the area of distributed learning platforms with expertise in deep learning and systems engineering. You will have proven significant technical leadership and will have a strong publication record in AI. As a Research Manager, you will lead teams as well as projects that are at the crossroads of machine learning, distributed systems, and cloud technologies to build bleeding-edge AI platforms. This will entail pushing the frontiers of AI to create a vastly simplified approach to deep learning that is accessible to everyone and democratizes AI. You will partner with the brightest minds in AI and will help bring AI research ideas into scalable, robust learning platforms.
- Lead and run extraordinary research teams and projects on deep learning platforms, publish in credible conferences and journals and file patent disclosures when appropriate
- Own the improvements of the platform's infrastructure and drive the technical advancements ton continuously improve the AI platforms
- Lead, manage and contribute to impactful and hands-on research projects
- You will assist with the commercialization of the resulting assets
- You will be asked to establish groups around commercial and open-source products
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- PhD in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or related technical fields
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience leading and managing teams are essential
- Validated background, publication record and experience in leading research efforts in distributed learning platforms or distributed systems and cloud
- Experience with deep learning frameworks, large-scale system engineering, distributed systems, cloud, and software engineering
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Advanced skill level with standard machine learning techniques and frameworks including but not limited to TensorFlow, PyTorch
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: hyper-parameter tuning, applied machine learning, automated distributed deployment and scaling technologies such as Kubernetes and Docker
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top