Research Business/Offering Development Executive
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Research Business/Offering Development Executive (BDE) will be responsible for the identification, qualification, progression, and execution of new Research Intellectual Property (IP) licensing and joint development deals globally. Success for this role is measured on new IP signings and income generated for Research. The expectation is that the BDE will drive each year $20+M in TSV signings, including $7+M in new income from those signings.
The Research BDE forges and sustains successful strategic partnerships with licensees and development partners (collectively, 'clients'), gaining client's attention and trust, identifying urgency and compelling reason to act, and overcoming all internal and external challenges to successfully executive win-win contracts. This includes identifying the appropriate client C-level decision maker, forming an appropriate business relationship, developing and negotiating a set of business terms, and ultimately, the creation and signing of a contract between parties. The BDE will craft new Research IP plays, including defining the technical differentiation, value proposition, and ideal partners/licensees for each new play.
Role responsibilities include:
- • Identify trends and business opportunities by researching events and publications, social networking, and other sources for assigned and new Research IP plays
- • Generate client value proposition, gain client consensus and drive opportunities
- • Lead and / or participate in client-facing sales meetings and own the sales responsibilities for the meeting
- • Provide subject-matter-expertise related to assigned and new Research IP plays
- • Develop and deliver client facing sales presentations at the CIO and Executive Suite level
- • Develop and maintain a qualified long-term sales pipeline, executing contracts consistently against that pipeline
- • Transfer knowledge to BDE team members through training and side-by-side deal work
The most successful candidate will have demonstrated successful sales experience with C- and SVP-level clients, the ability to create a marketable offering out of an emerging technical capability, program management experience, a technical background and strong business acumen. They will relish the opportunity to deeply understand emerging technologies and can do so quickly. They have served as an ace translator - translating inputs from lead scientists and researchers into lay and business client ready language. They can lead, manage and motivate a deal team over whom they do not have organizational control. For example, it will be necessary to work with many groups across IBM, for example, Finance, Contracts, General Legal, IP Law, Export, Tax, and Business Units, as well as the lead researchers, to move a deal from initiation to execution. BDE candidates should have experience in consultative selling, building client relationships, leading sales efforts, leading meetings, and delivering presentations. Business Offering/Development Executives are expected to perform a variety of tasks, and a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 3 years experience in Business Development, including pipeline generation
- Track record of achieving individual sales quota of $5M+ annually
- Technical expertise (Science or Engineering)
- Strong relationship management skills
- Confident and influential interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively present to individuals and groups at all levels.
- Executive presence
- Ability to work in complex, matrix managed organizational environments
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property Licensing
- Technical and/or sales experience with research or pre-commercial assets, especially in 1) semiconductor chip design, fabs, or process tools, 2) AI-enabled industrial applications, or 3) cloud enabling technologies
- 8+ years experience in Consultative Selling
- 8+ years experience in Business Development
- 5+ years providing direct technical presales
- 3+ years in offering management
- Acknowledged as an expert in identifying and building discipline/specialty offerings/solutions in new markets.
- A skilled and effective negotiator
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world's most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top