Patent Attorney Team Lead - Endicott, NY
- Endicott, NY
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Patent Attorney - Team Lead position provides the opportunity to perform patent procurement work on a wide variety of IBM inventions, while interacting with IBM professionals (domestic and foreign) in nearly every business unit of the company. As part of the IBM Patent Center, you will work in a dynamic, fast-paced, and exciting work environment, with opportunities to mentor team members and develop and share best practices throughout the Patent Center.
- You will work in the innovative and collaborative IBM Patent Center, which prepares and prosecutes patent applications within a broad range of technologies, including, for example, technologies pertaining to cloud, cognitive computing, analytics, AI, quantum, mobile, social, and security.
- Writing, filing, and prosecuting patent applications in the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO). In addition, you will lead and mentor a team of professionals in the writing, filing, and prosecution of U.S. patent applications, and work on developing the best process for doing such patent procurement work in a high-volume, high-quality mode. Team leadership responsibilities will also include reviewing and approving the work product of your team to maintain quantity requirements and high quality standards.
- Work with IBM Patent Attorneys, Agents, Engineers, and IP Legal Specialists both inside and outside of the Patent Center. You will also work closely with IBM inventors.
To be successful in this position, you should have strong organization, leadership, writing, and communication skills to both write and prosecute patent applications with high quality and efficiency, as well as develop those same skill sets in a team of patent professionals. You should also be timely, autonomous, dependable, and personally accountable. This Patent Attorney - Team Lead position requires you to work on-site at the following Patent Center Locations, Endicott, NY.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Must be registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Must have at least 4 years of experience as a USPTO registered Patent Attorney/Agent preparing and prosecuting US patent applications.
- Must have prior experience mentoring professionals in the writing, filing, and prosecution of U.S. patent applications.
- Must have a J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school and be admitted to at least one state bar.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 5-7 years of experience as a USPTO registered Patent Attorney/Agent preparing and prosecuting U.S. patent applications.
- Preferred technical backgrounds include: Computer Science; Computer Systems Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Information Technology; Mechanical Engineering; and another science or engineering major with significant course work in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering; or significant patent application preparation experience in a relevant technical field.
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world's most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible. Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top